My computer does not respond to command. Have windows 10. I

Customer Question
My computer does not respond...
My computer does not respond to command. Have windows 10.
I can open files on the desktop but not documents. Tried shutting down and it got stuck on that mode. Finally got out of that and am at my desktop. Can't log on to Internet - can't restart can't open the windows icon nothing - only able to open desktop files to see what's in it but not the documents
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
10/1/2015
Tech Support Specialist: Jason Jones, Computer Expert replied 2 years ago
Jason Jones, Computer Expert

I will be the person helping you today.

I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help.

May I ask if you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem?

Once the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate via a chat window on your computer.

Thank you,
Jason

Hi I'm on my cell - can't open my wifi my laptop shows only desktop. You can call me to get me to the point where I can share the screen please(###) ###-####Thank you

I am sorry, a phone call will not be possible. Please, elaborate further on your particular problem. You can access the Desktop, but not the Internet?

Desktop is open I can't go anywhere from here only open files o have there but not the docs in them. Can't print or connect to the internet even tho I juts plunged in the wire hoping that it would make a difference - but no

Please, leave the network cable plugged into the computer and restart the computer. When you do that, are you given access to the Internet?

I tried - it does not respond to my command

May I ask what it means when you say that it didn't respond to your command?

When I click on any of the taskbar bottoms on the bottom of my screen the little rotating circle flashes for a second and that's all

Okay, let's do the following:
- Press the following three keys at the same time: CTRL, ALT, & DEL

- Choose Task Manager

- In the top menu back, click File > New

- In the command window, type the following and click ok: rstrui

- Choose to restore to an earlier point in time.

- Choose a date from at least a few days before this problem began.

- Click Next > Next > Finish > Yes

- After that completes and reboots, you should be good to go.

Please, keep me updated after this is complete.

I did it 4x i- clicked on Task Manager but it did not open- went straight back to my desktop screen

At the desktop, if you press the Windows key and the letter R at the same time, are you given a command window?

Fantastic. I am glad to hear that.

- Click Next > Next > Finish > Yes

I only have one time listed there- this is what it says in line one- nothing else here. I tried the down arrow to look for an alternate/earlier date but nothing...
9/30/2015 3:25pm
Windows update
Critical update
Ok I clicked - show more restore points and found 3 critical updates within the last 3 weeks
Click on one of those..?

Choose one of the dates from before the problem began.

Doing it now

Thank you

It went to restart and has been dark since.... About 2 minutes now...

Please, wait a few more minutes.

Ok

Thank you

FYI ... Still dark. The light around the power/ off-on button is still on...I hear a slight humming ...

Press and hold the power button until it turns off. After it is off, turn it back on.

I did.the computer logo " Toshiba - Leading Innovations" came up- as it does when I normally turn it on... The little circle was spinning below... ... Then it went dark, but not completely off . Then a larger spinning circle. Now login desktop- logging in... VERY slow to respond.. Nothing yet. Stay tuned pls

Thank you for the update. I will be standing by.

It showed my picture and name as usual but still spinning circle. Then dark- now desktop with box saying: "systemRestore did not complete successfully. Your computer files and systems were not changed.
Details: the Systems Restore is still in progress or did not complete "

That is not good news. Please, repeat the instructions for restoring the computer, but use a different date. I look forward to your results. I will be standing by.

you can try sysyemsrestore again or try a different restore point.... Or try advanced method.
- ok will I loose everything after the date I choose...?

You will not 'lose' data or documents. It will just restore your configuration to that time.

Don't know what that means but am doing it now thanks

In simple terms, it will fix the problem with Windows. It will not delete any files or anything.

Should I " scan for affected programs?

No

Ok going way back tithe farthest date 9/9/15. Wish us luck!!

I wish you luck; however, luck is not needed in this case. If that doesn't work, there are countless other ways to fix the issue.

Thanks :-)

:)

FYI - Still on the "wait while your Windowd files are being restored... screen "System is restoring the registry"
Hi are you still here with me? I am "in" but it's running EXTREMENLY SLOW!! Something is not right .. you can try to take over my screen now
I guess that even though there are countless other ways to fix the issue, you have decided that you will not be the person guiding me through one or the other of these ways.

Often times, my work schedule changes. Sometimes I work 18 hours every day, but sometimes I only work 10 hours per day. Yesterday was an 8 hour day. I am back now. Please, let me know when you are ready for the remote session to begin.

Thank you,

Jason

Jason Jones, Computer Expert