Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

My CD/DVD player does not appear on File Manager and I can't

Customer Question

My CD/DVD player does not appear on File Manager and I can't find it anywhere. I want to know how I can make it operational.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve the problem you have posted.

Let me know the make and model number of the computer or is it a cd/dvd player and not a computer drive.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was privately made with a msi-c25 motherboard and AMD Phenom II X4 925 Processor (2.80 Gigs). It has 8 GB installed memory and my system is a 64 bit operating system, x64 based processor. My CD/DCD player is na LG with blue ray capability but short of tearing down the computer, I can't get you a serial number.
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the detailed info i would like you to open device manager and let me know what is listed under dvd/cd drive.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing! Only my 2 hard disks appear.
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

in the device manager?

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

you must have opened my computer folder and not device manager.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no line item: CD/DVD player. Under "disk drives" I only have my two hard drives,
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

Right click on the windows icon you will see device manger in the list left click to open it and then check.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went to "Control Panel" and then to "Device Manager" in windows 10.
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

still there is no cd/dvd in the list?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Correct. None
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

click on the arrow which says PC it will extract all hidden devices.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't see it. Is it in Device Manager?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do see it but it only has a SanDisk U3 drive (which is not currently in the computer)
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

There is an optional Remote Connect Service - Quick Resolution

Remote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($18). It is 100% safe which will allow me directly work on the problem and can be fixed quickly, you can sit back and watch your screen while i fix it for you. Let me know if you need the additional service or else we can continue with the service you have already opted for.
let me know if you want to opt for remote assistance

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In other words, you don't know.
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

dont know what?

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

can you take a screen shot and post it here "DEVICE MANAGER".

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You should be able to call me through it. When you find out, please send me an email at***@******.***. Please don't charge until you know how to fix it.
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

i will not charge you unit its fixed all you have to let me know do you want me to remotely fix it for you i can do it right now and you can watch while i fix no charge if not fixed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok fix it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I agree to your $18 charge
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

i will not charge you in advance let me fix it first then you can pay me.

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

click here to run remote access

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

Join Your Remote Desktop Session

How Remote Desktop Works

1. Agree to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer below.
  2. The Remote Desktop client file will automatically download to your computer.
  3. Open the Remote Desktop client file on your computer and you will be connected to a session with your Expert.
  4. After agreeing to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer, you can always download the client again if need be.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have opened it several times and it does not open
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

Connected and working on the issue now.

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

michelleclive: Hi
michelleclive: This is Michelle
michelleclive: i am connected now
Guest: OK I can see you
michelleclive: give me a minute
michelleclive: i will take the mouse control now.
Guest: ok
michelleclive: sir you there?
Guest: yes
michelleclive: i have checked the settings on your computer the physical drive is not being detected by the computer. You will have to shut down open the power and check the power cable and the serial ata cable which is connecting the drive to the motherboard.
Guest: It was recognized by windows 7; I don't think anything is wrong. The drive opens and closes
michelleclive: i am not saying the drive is not connected . Windows is not detecting its physical presence however to get this fixed you will have to unplug and replug the serial ata cable which will be a red cable and the power cable too. Try to connect it to another serail ata port if any of the other if free or available.
Guest: OK; but not tonight
michelleclive: After doing this go into the bios and let me know once you are back to windows the cd/dvd must be listed in the bios when you have the hdd listed

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

Guest: OK. Can I print this out somehow
michelleclive: sure you can do you want me to do it for you
Guest: ok
michelleclive: you may shut down the pc now and check the steps i requested.
michelleclive: to get back to me all you have to do is check your email for justanswer and reply back.
Guest: ok