Cory
Cory, Computer Technician
Experience:  Computer Repair Technician 5+ Years
8685120

Just finished working in Russia. Used my work computer (PC)

Customer Question

Just finished working in Russia. Used my work computer (PC) exclusively for my msn mail (CLICK ON OUTLOOK.COM FROM THE MSN.COM HOME PAGE). Turned-in the PC (company PC). Came to the US and am using my wife's MAC. Can't get to my mail. When I do (via method described above), a message appears where I am asked one of three choices: if I have the phone or text capability ending in -43, or I no longer have these.
This was my Russian company phone which I no longer have. When I choose that I do not have this I go to where I fill-in a form asking alot of questions about the account. Did so, and they sent a response to my son's g-mail stating that the "automated system" determined that insufficient info was provided. Was instructed to resubmit the form - did so, and rejected again. Called customer service at msn, and was told that mail is only handled 'online'. Service rep walked me through to where I could fill-in and send a response to the Microsoft support Team. Did so explaining the situation. Said they would respond in 24 hrs, and if not, check for a message in the junk folder. 7 days and nothing. Can you help?
On the MAC mail, I do have mails, but the INBOX only goes up until Jan 19,2015. Plus many folders are empty - including sent.
I receive the following:
"Cannot send the message using the server msn"
and this:
An error occurred while sending this message using the SMTP server “(null)”
Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent.
Sending from: Bill St. John
Then there is a box with "MSN (Offline)" highlighted inside that is selected (no other selection options present at this time). Next to it is a box where I can select: "Edit SMPT server list", and below this box is another box: "Connection Doctor". at the bottom are three boxes: "Edit Message", "Try Later" and "Try with Selected Server"(This one is highlighted)
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If you also send a response by email, send it to my son's mail: ***@******.*** since I cannot get my man mail.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any luck?
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

Welcome, I am Cory.

You can not answer or respond to any of the security methods?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
From msn or what I see from the MAC?
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

That you got from the email. You also tried completing the recovery form, but you were not successful?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When you fill-out the form, it is apparently screened by an automated system. It didn't like my responses it seems and denied the reinstatement. Then I talked to an man support person who said that mail issues are only taken care of online, but routed me to a place where I could send feedback and additional info the msn support team. I did this with and received a mail back to my son's gmail that they would respond in 24 hrs, and if not, they said to check the junk mail folder - which for a MAC is the Spam folder. this was 7 days ago and I have received no response whatsoever.
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

Was it in the forum that you filled out this 24 hour form?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They ask who you sent recent mails to; what folders do you have, birth date, security question, any old passwords, people's mail addresses you have sent mails to recently, etc.
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

This is correct and they told you that the information was not correct?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
did the best I could
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
From the info I have on the MAC, provided them with a complete list of all folders I have set-up
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The "automated system" didn't like my responses
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Then found a way to send info directly to tech support - said they would respond in 24 hrs - that was 7 days ago!! - NOTHING
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

How did you send the info directly to them?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Via email, using my son's gmail account (he also is "tied into msn somehow") as to where they should respond back to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have their response on his i-phone and am looking at it at this moment
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

Where did you go to in order to contact them directly

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hold on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Login.live.com
Contact Us (at the bottom)
select - when can't sign in
select - email microsoft support
select - having trouble signing in
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Be back in a couple of minutes - bio break
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am back
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I have found where you sent in the customer service contact

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This was the subject line of their response: SRX1303944989ID
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

You were logged into another MSN/Hotmail or Outlook account when you completed that?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
NO - I cannot login to any MSN account. My son has gmail, but he has a tie-in to MSN because he has an xbox account. we go to the MSN login, type in his gmail account and for the password, use his xbox password. Which is his link to MSN.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is what is crazy, I can't access my man mail, yet they ask you where to send their responses to. And I don't have any other mail accounts, so had to use my son's
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
to answer your ?, we had to login to my son's msn via gmail
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
log in to msn via gmail using his msn xbox password
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

Ok, well that is my last resort answer contacting them directly like you did.

Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

Since they did not answer, I would complete the contact the from again. Make sure you give the right contact email and tell them you have completed the recovery form many times, but have been unsuccessful. Tell them you want them to verify your account manually.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK thx for your time I expect only to be charged $5.00 - correct
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

By chance, did you ever pay for Hotmail or MSN Plus?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

Did it start with suspicion on the account cause of the different country or the password ***** forgot?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do I need to do to ensure that I am only charged the initial $5.00?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Password ***** not forgotten - seems to be related to switch in country and from PC to MAC
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

The account was locked?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
different computer and different country
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

The account was locked?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, just a message to verify my account
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

I have one more idea that has worked in the past

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess that until they are satisfied with my responses it is probably locked
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no way of knowing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is it?
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

Signing into the account with a Russian proxy

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do you do that? Especially since I don't have the old PC
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

through a proxy server

Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

I'd have to connect remotely

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Then what? I always connected via my company's servers, etc.
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

I can connect to a free Russian proxy and see if I can full MSN into thinking you are there

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If successful, what happens later when I need to get in - am in the US with a MAC
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

You can change the recovery number

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You sure this number can be changed, since it will not be a russian number - instead a US number?
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

yes, I am sure if we get in or you can set up a recovery email ect

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Go for it
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

Remote service is an additional charge

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Talk to me - how much in TOTAL
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

Im not sure what you paid, but it will be $40 on top of that for remote service

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My Chinese stepson has a boot leg set-up on the MAC to login to windows will this work?
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
verify - IF this works, Initial $5.00, If it works, additional $53.00, Then on top of that $40.00 for the remote access? For a TOTAL of $98.00!!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Right now I am logged-in to the MAC side only. Do I need to logout and go to the boot-legged Windows login?
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

Yes, that is correct. You are charged once I send you a request for the remote service, but if we can't fix it, we have a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Meaning??
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

If not fixed, we promise a 100% refund

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK let's give it a shot. should I stay here, or logout and go to the bootleg windows login (needed to get around Chinese blocking issues). IF I logout her, I will lose our connection. Please advise.
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

You will need to log back into the site. Windows is preferred...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I logout here, and back into the windows site? How do I connect back with you, without going through the whole process again? Sorry it is so complicated.
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

Login to Justanswer and click on My Questions at the top

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You have my man email address***@******.***. Do you need the password ***** the new contact number?
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

no

Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

I'm going to do it on your computer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I'll logout here and back into the windows side and connect back up right?
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

yes

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
see you in a few
Expert:  Cory replied 2 years ago.

Are you back?