Ad 10, accepted and download started this AM, download did…

Customer Question
ad for windows 10, accepted...
ad for windows 10, accepted and download started this AM, download did not complete, windows 10 did not activate, microsoft attempted to restore windows 7, error message "error loading operating system"... Read full answer
ad for windows 10, accepted and download started this AM, download did not complete, windows 10 did not activate, microsoft attempted to restore windows 7, error message "error loading operating system"
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Computer
9/17/2015
Tech Support Specialist: Michelle, Computer Support Specialist replied 3 years ago
Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve the problem you have posted.

Before you attempted for a windows 10 upgrade did you backup all you important data on an external hard drive or a usb drive?

There is an external drive with a backupI did not allow the update, when I turned the pc on windows took over

you mean it was a forced update which ran?

Power off the comptuer and wait for 3 mins. power it back on and let it run let me know on which point it freezes or pops with any windows error.

hold down the power button for 10 seconds the computer will shut down.

It is now 10 minutes, screen shows starting windows

ok and is it showing the windows 7 or 10 logo

windows 7

ok.give me a moment here..let me check

shows the blue, red, green flags

please let me know the make and model of the pc

HP Pavilion EliteHPE-137Model HPE-137c

do you have any recovery discs for the pc with you

Before we started talking I went into F-10 at boot up and changed set up to default setting, then when we started I booted the PC backup, and after 15 minutes Pc booted back up and is working okthank you for your help

It has run a self repair and you are booted to windows now.

Try to do a proper shut down and then turn it back on let me know if there is any problem.

If everything is fine the please click one of the stars above to rate me for my service and if you have any question feel free to ask.

Thank you.

Booted down, would not boot back up

unplug the power cable from the comptuer and press and hold down the power button for 40 seconds without connecting the power cable to the computer once this step is done connect the power cable and power on the pc let me know if it boots or not.

followed your directions, booted up, windows 7 logo running on screen, after 20 minutes will not boot. I have a backup on an external drive, utilizing another computer would it work to copy to a cd rom, then run on affected pc.

do you have the discs for windows 7 or any recovery discs you made for this pc

On an external hard drive I have a backup from 9/15/2015

in order to run a clean boot of windows we would need to reinstall windows either from a windows 7 disc or a recovery disc

the backup you created is a backup copy of the files but windows cannot be reinstalled with it

in order to do a fresh install we wold need windows operating system disc

let me know if you have the windows or recovery disc with you

your computer must have come with either one of these

No boot disk, PC bought from computer repair shop. At this stage what can be done??? is it possible to create a boot disk?

i will have to check if an iso image of the recovery disc is available online

let me check hp's downloads

give me another minute please

i am working on it

thanks for your patience

i checked and this pc does not come with a recovery image program..that means that neither a factory image is loaded nor recovery discs are provided or a download of the same is available

so now we have 2 options ...we will have to create a bootable disc of either windows 7 or 10

if we load windows 7 then you will have to again follow the upgrade to windows 10

2nd option is to create a bootable disc of windows 10 directly and install it

technically the 2nd option is a better choice as if we go in for a windows 7 install if will force the windows 10 upgrade again

however these steps can be performed only on a windows based pc and not on a mac

i would suggest you could try these steps on a windows based pc maybe on a friends or neighbor's pc

i will list down the steps:

Download Windows 10 Media Creation Tool...click here to download

• Once Media creation tool is installed on your device, launch the application.
  • Windows 10 setup displays on the screen wherein you will be asked “What do you want to do?”
  • Now, select Create installation media for another PC, and then, click Next.
  • On the next screen, you need to select your preferred Language and Architecture
  • Select the edition based on your current running edition of Windows Operating System.
    • Choose Windows 10 Home Edition
  • On the next screen, you need to choose the type of media which is used to boot Windows 10.
  • Select USB flash drive and Click on Next.
  • If you want to create a bootable Windows 10 USB DVD, select ISO file
  • Media Creation Tool will then create the bootable setup media for Windows 10 using USB drive.
  • Now, you will get a new window that displays three options:
    • Keep Personal Files and apps
    • Keep Personal files only
    • Nothing
  • Select Nothing and Click on Next.
  • your computer will restart and at this time unplug the usb drive

now boot from this usb drive on your pc and run a windows 10 installation

This second step, I take it I cannot download to a USB drive on a mac?

yes

because the media creation tool that you will download will run only on a windows based computer

if that is not possible then you will have to get a windows 7 disc and install windows 7 and then run a manual upgrade to windows 10

I have a windows 10 disk with code that I bought, would this work? I tried to load from a boot up but system would not recognize

It must be a windows 10 upgrade disk or an operating system disk?

do you have windows 7 or 8 disk?

The Windows 10 is a Professional Plus 2013, on the disk it says backup disk, with Product key codesno on the 7 or 8.

Looks like not a full os disk still we can give it a try.

insert the disk in the drive and close the tray and shut the computer power off, wait for 30 seconds and power it back on.

Immediately keep tapping on the F12 key wiich is a one time boot menu enabler as soon as you see boot from cd/dvd use the arrow to select and hit enter then it will again say press any key to continue hit enter again.

Did not work on F12; I have a backup on a thumb drive, since nothing else has work would the thumb drive work the same as the windows cd?

yes please try the thumb drive

The thumb drive was an incomplete, the problem I have is the backup is a 39gb and I only have a 32gb thumb drive; everything I see is that you have to be able to access search on the windows screen; utilizing F10 I can see the different drives, cd, hd, and and usb ports, and since the backup is on an external drive plugged into a usb port how would I go about accessing the files on the external drive.
I have been on youtube, Microsoft, and google with no success; I know that if a computer tech can get into my pc, (this has happened before) then I believe you can Michelle. I need to be able to restore this pc from the F10, thumb drive, or create a boot cd. I know you are working on this problem, but the goal is for me to gain access.

I will open the question to other experts for there input and view as i am running out of ideas.

Tech Support Specialist: Josh, Support Specialist replied 3 years ago
Josh, Support Specialist

Hi!

HP has a built-in recovery system that you can use to restore the computer. Please power off the computer and when powering it back on, keep pressing F11 repeatedly until you reach the Recovery screen.

after F11 screen shows "boot selection failed because a required device in accessible "boot sequence:
1. CD rom
2. hard drive

Are you able to select Hard Drive?

change boot sequence to hard drive, then cd rom?

Yes, and try the steps again.

did not work, is there a way to build a boot disk?

Do you have a desktop or laptop?

The affected pc is a desktop; I am using a mac air to correspond between you and myself. Sorry about the delay, I had a motorcycle wreck and injured my left leg and kneecap, I have to stay off the leg and rest.

Do you have any CDs in the CD drive?

which pc, desk or lao? answer no to both

Try this..

1. Press the Power button to shut down the computer.

2. Wait a few seconds, and then press the Power button again. Immediately press the F10 key repeatedly until the BIOS screen appears.

3. Use the right/left arrow keys to navigate to System Configuration.

4. Highlight Boot Options and then press Enter.

5. In the UEFI Boot Order list, press the F9 key to reset the boot order to the default settings. Or, to customize the boot order, use the up/down arrow keys to move the highlight to your preferred boot device, and then press the F6 key repeatedly until the device is moved to the first position in the list.

6. Press F10 to Save and Exit, and then press Enter to confirm.

I have not heard back from you in a while -- If the issue is resolved, please rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.

I am not satisfied, the problem is not solved; a boot disk could have been built? if other computer techs can get into a pc?
thank you for trying

Did you follow my steps that I posted on Sept 22nd?

with no success

In that case, you will need to order a recovery kit from HP..

1. Find the serial number for your computer and write the number down on a piece of paper. The serial number is ***** on a service tag label adhered the case of the computer. For some notebook models sold in 2010 or later, you need to remove the battery or open an access hatch on the bottom of the notebook to see the service tag.

Figure : An example of a service tag (the tag on your computer may look different)

2. Write down any model numbers and product names listed on the service tag. Use these names to determine the exact model name (not series) of your computer.

caution:

It is very important that you know the computer's exact model number/product name - not the series name that is often printed directly on the product's exterior. If you use the series name to order discs, the discs probably will not work. For example, there are several models of G62 notebook computers, but only one model G62-149WM. To learn more about how to find model numbers for HP products, see HP Guide to finding your product number.

3. Open a web browser and go to the www.hp.com home page, and then click the Download drivers from the Support menu at the top of the page.

4. Enter the product number or complete product name of your computer in the Find my product field, and then click Go.

Figure : Enter a product name/number

5. If you are presented with a list of several links to product support sites, click the link that matches your computer's model number.

Figure : Click model number

6. A Software and Drivers page opens. Make sure that the model number listed at the top of the page matches the model number/product name of your computer. If the model number does not match, double-check the product name/number on the service tag, and search the HP Web site again.

7. Click Go under Option 2: Go directly to the software and driver results.

Figure : Click Go

8. On the Drivers page for your computer, use the drop-down menu to select the original operating system that came with your computer, and then click Next.

Figure : Select your operating system

9. On the list of downloads, click Order Recovery Media - CD/DVD/USB, and then click Order Media to open an ordering page.

note:

The ordering pages use a secure connection to protect your privacy.

note:

If you cannot find an "Order Recovery Media - CD/DVD/USB" section, select another operating system from the drop down list. If you cannot find a Recovery Media section for your computer model, HP does not have a recovery kit available.

Figure : Order Recovery Media

10. On the order summary page, enter the required Serial number, and then click Next.

note:

If an error page opens stating that HP was unable to find the page you wanted, use another Internet browser, such as Firefox, to order your software from HP. The ordering process is known not to work under certain configurations of Internet Explorer.

Figure : Enter your product's serial number

11. Enter a 5-digit zip code and click Next.

12. Select a Shipping method from the options provided, and then click Next.

Figure : Select a shipping method

13. Complete the shipping address form, and then click Next. The information on this form should match the address for your credit card.

14. If the billing address is the same as the shipping address, select Use my shipping address, and then click Next.

If the billing address is different from the shipping address, select Use a different address, click Next, complete the billing address form, and then click Next.

15. Enter your payment information, including a credit card number and credit card verification number, and then click Submit.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have purchased complete office and am endeavouring to load
Hi my name is ***** ***** have purchased complete office and am endeavouring to load it but keep coming up with a screen requesting i purchase,trial or enter my support key but on entering key nothing… read more
Benjie
Benjie
Technical Support,
Can't get a Dell XPS 8900 desktop to boot. Have spent hours
Can't get a Dell XPS 8900 desktop to boot. Have spent hours trying to get ISO's to boot from USB and DVD. I then tried Linux and got a !PXE no no boot driver found in UNDI from Intel Boot agent. … read more
hongkongpom
hongkongpom
Computer Desktop Support,
I have an HP desktop computer and when I turn it on the
I have an HP desktop computer and when I turn it on the screen seems like it is trying to load Windows by flickering a black screen and it never loads. I did have a box pop up once that said something… read more
Studying for Masters Degree in IT,
Stop searching for answers—
My laptop a Toshiba satellite C655 series is missing Run/DLL
my laptop a Toshiba satellite C655 series is missing Run/DLL I do not have the discs anymore t recover. What can I do to recover it?… read more
Support Technician,
I just purchased and registered the WinUtilities PRO activation
I just purchased and registered the WinUtilities PRO activation key WYMTGGP-19E4-DBC6-3AED-41BC-QKWU. I registered the program with the activation key number. however when i went to use the program, a… read more
technicalcat
technicalcat
Need help. I keep getting error message 1935 when I try to
Need help. I keep getting error message 1935 when I try to install Microsoft updates or some regular programs. Get this message: An error occurred during installation of assembly Microsoft, VC90.ATL, … read more
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N.
Systems Administrator,
Diplom
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Hi, My daugter has an Acer Aspire 5738/5338 series Model
Hi, My daugter has an Acer Aspire 5738/5338 series Model #MS2264 Laptop. SNID 94400925. Microsoft 7 operating system. This morning when she turned the laptop on it would not load Microsoft 7. Instead … read more
Networke_Helper
Networke_Helper
Hi I have a HP Pavilion dv7. When I try to play videos,
Hi I have a HP Pavilion dv7. When I try to play videos, for instance videos on youtube, it comes up with a message that the display driver has recovered from an error. The screen where the video is th… read more
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N.
Systems Administrator,
Diplom
I received an update to Windows Live on automatic update. I
I received an update to Windows Live on automatic update. I have windows 7 64 bit The update failed and now windows live mail will not load and if I try to restore to another date I get error 0x800700… read more
Justin
Justin
Network Administrator,
I am getting an error message that says there is a problem
I am getting an error message that says there is a problem with this windows installer package. A script is required for this install. I have been trying to reinstall my flipshare program. What can I … read more
J Tech
J Tech
3 years towards bs in computer sci
Adobe DRM Activator error. Client Code 31 - HTTP Code
Adobe DRM Activator error. Client Code: 31 - HTTP Code: 555 I receive this when attempting to open an adobe digital addition book downloaded from a downloadable site Any answers?… read more
Molinari
Molinari
Professional Tech Expert,
CompTIA A+ Certification
I just purchased a new computer with windows 7 operating system
I just purchased a new computer with windows 7 operating system and my Naturally Speaking software will not load. What can I do? Thank you, XXXXX… read more
Vcomputer
Vcomputer
Stop searching for answers—
I get an error message for this update and it will not load.
I get an error message for this update and it will not load. The error message indicates: Error code 66A -Security Update for .NET Framework 4 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Window… read more
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N.
Systems Administrator,
Diplom
I recently restored my sony vaio with windows 7 and am now
I recently restored my sony vaio with windows 7 and am now getting messages about programs not running because of my side by side configuration, messages about the command sxstrace.exe which i have tr… read more
Justin
Justin
Network Administrator,
I purchased a Dell Inspiron E1405 from you apx 4 years ago.
I purchased a Dell Inspiron E1405 from you apx 4 years ago. I requested that this be set up with Microsoft Office and Windows. Up until a few weeks ago, it was working fine. Now I receive a message th… read more
Aaron B
Aaron B
Computer Repair Technician,
After installing Windows 7, when opening a file in FrontPage
After installing Windows 7, when opening a file in FrontPage recieve the error: There was an error when trying to run Windows Shell Common DLL. The command: c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll failed. The… read more
JMU 1998
JMU 1998
IT Consulting,
Trying to log onto my laptop, password protected this message
Trying to log onto my laptop, password XXXXX this message appears "The application failed to intialize properly 0xc0000142 click OK to terminate application. The only way I can open up is by using the… read more
JMU 1998
JMU 1998
IT Consulting,
Im trying to activate my XP version of Windows with Microsoft
I'm trying to activate my XP version of Windows with Microsoft but I am unable to. I am asked if I want to activate it now and I click yes. However nothing happens. How can I activate my XP version of… read more
CIO,