Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

I have outlook 2013 (365) on two PCs, an i5 windows 8.1

Customer Question

I have outlook 2013 (365) on two PCs, an i5 windows 8.1 tablet and a i7 windows 7 desktop. I have a multitude of IMAP folders on a server. The tablet synchronizes all folders fine. The desktop shows only a inbox, outbox, rss feeds, search folders, and three very old non-imap folders. Settings for the account are identical on both PCs. I see new inbox messages on the desktop regularly and they match the tablet. I see all the folders on the server and on the tablet, not on the desktop. If I go to IMAP folders on the desktop, I see all of the missing folders in the list and they show as subscribed, but none show up in the folder tree. If I try to delete any eamils in the inbox, I get the "The operation cannot be performed because the object has been deleted". I was going to destroy the account and rebuild it, but I was afraid of loosing all of my rules and calendar stuff. My rules are all in error, presumably because the folders are not available to move things too.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 2 years ago.

May i connect with you remotely to check and troubleshoot the issue directly? Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not comfortable with that...

No problem. Can you create a new profile on Outlook; and then reconfigure the imap account?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was concerned that I would loose all of my other data (non-imap folders, rules, calendar, etc.). Because of the errors on the rules (presumably from the non-visible folders) It will not allow me to export the rules.

Do not delete the old profile. Let the old profile stay; create a new profile and just configure the account on a new profile to see if that resolves the imap folders issue; once that is done, we can discuss about other stuff.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I create a new profile, is there a way to move the existing data to the new profile while not re-creating the current problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
does Profile = Account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Creating a new account...

For the situation you are in now; new profile is the only solution in my opinion. All the imap data should be redownloaded onto the new profile; for non-imap folders; you will export the pst for that into the new profile. Profile is not account; you have to go to Control Panel -> Mail -> And create a new profile from there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still working on it...

take your time.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This will take some time, something is messed up with my email password, need to reset it with the server host...

If i go offline; i will respond as soon as i return since it is 01:30 AM here. If you have access to hosting; you can reset the password ***** or you can use the mailpw utility to retrieve the password ***** your other running system or this one.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tries resetting my password, didn't reset, Host told me to wait 30 minutes for the servers to update...

no problem..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got the Password ***** care of. New profile sync'd the IMAP folders, they are slowly being populated under the new profile. The original profile didn't change. It looks like the calendar is updated. How do I get the rules changed over to the new profile? They are sill in error on the original profile. There are 100's of them.

You can export rules from old profile to new profile. For export; you will start outlook in old profile and then after exporting start outlook in new profile to import. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Import-or-export-a-set-of-rules-91e357da-3026-4fb6-8b0e-5e7c8a0fbf5b

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's a problem. The rules exist, but on the old profile, which lacks all the folders thus causing errors on all the rules. I can't export rules until they are corrected. Is there a work around for this?

BUT the rules exists locally so they can be exported? Can you try putting Outlook in offline mode and then export them? Once that's done; then import into new profile where all the folders exists?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In offline mode, manage rules -> Select old profile, Dialog box= "One or more rules contains errors. Delete or modify these rules." I click OK and go to Options, Export Rules, Dialog box = "We can't save your rule yet because a value is missing. To set it, click the underlined text in the rule description area."

Okay; so we will need to delete the problematic rule; and then re-create it there is no work around to fix the problematic rule other then deleting it. BUT my guess is these would only be a few?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Problematic ruleS. All of them have errors, hundreds.

Unfortunately; then the rules will need to be re-created.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I rename the old profile to .old and rename the new to the previous name, will the rules relink?

Can we not export from the system where Outlook is working?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Export what, how?

I have outlook 2013 (365) on two PCs, an i5 windows 8.1 tablet and a i7 windows 7 desktop.

which one of the two is working fine?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The tablet was working ok, but it didn't have the rules set up on it. I normally use the desktop for mail and it sorts everything out as mail comes in the inbox. I don't use the tablet for email much. It seems that rules are local only, Yes?

In that case; it would be best to recreate the rules. I am also guessing that the reason why the issue initially occurred is because the rules made changes; or some other device changed something which results in these errors.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can see all the rules and edit them where they are, they just can't see any of the folders they are supposed to move things to. The rules reference the profile's inbox and the profile's destination folder where it puts the emails. If I just edit the source and destination folders of the rules and delete the original profile, will the rules stay around or will they go away with the deleted original profile?

they can't see the folders (so they are missing the values, and if they are missing the values) they are considered as incomplete and cannot be exported. if you delete the profile; the rules will also be deleted. If you can edit the source and destination on the original profile (to a working value) then they should be exported fine. You should not delete the original profile; in any case because if in future we need to restore or get a thing back; we can always refer to that profile.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
edit rules in place, then export/import to new profile, once checked out, back up new profile and delete old?

don't delete old until the new profile is completely setup; once you feel confident with the new profile (you can then delete old). YES, to export rules; they must work and not be incomplete. This will still be a lot of work; i would just suggest that you re-create them on the new profile to make things easier cause you can run into issues again if let's say; there is another rule which you manage to get working on the old profile; and in the new profile the folder doesn't exists; and the rule tries to run = then you get more problems, so it would be best to create new rules; choose folders/values directly from the new profile.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Recreating rules would take a long time, just a few hours to re-direct. I'm wondering of the re-direct will have to be done twice. The rules when exported will reference the old profile inbox and the new profile destination folders. Will this be a problem on import to the new profile?

It can be a problem; and can take more time in sorting them. In my opinion; i suggest new rules. Since this is very custom; you can get the final result after trial and error.

I will be logging off and will answer any questions you have tomorrow as it is 04:13 AM here. And, if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking the star icon; that will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK

Any updates?