I'm trying to upgrade windows xp to vista and it keeps

Customer Question
stalling during the gathering process...
I'm trying to upgrade windows xp to vista and it keeps stalling during the gathering process. Is there any way to find out why?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
9/1/2015
Tech Support Specialist: Michelle, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve the problem you have posted.

you are trying to install vista from a disk?

The vista disk is an upgrade disk or a full version os.

I have a valid upgrade disk for vista
hello?
I want to keep all my files that's why the upgrade
Randy
Hi Michelle
Are U there?

do you get any error when you try to run the upgrade.

no
It just stalls at the gathering info stage

is it a desktop or a laptop computer which you are upgrading.

desktop

Shut down the computer and check for any external devices connected to the computer and disconnect them, all you have to make sure is that only keyboard and mouse is connected to the desktop computer and not other device should be attached. Try to run upgrade after that.

they were all disconnected.

Try running the upgrade disk now.

I'm using the computer I'm trying to upgrade. Nothing has changed on the settings since we started our conversation.Randy

you didnt remove the extra devices attached to the computer apart from keyboard and mouse as i suggested.

did you run the upgrade, let me know are you still facing the problem of freezing.

there aren't any

what is the current status.

I haven't retried the update but I've tried it at least 6 times already and it stalls every time. I never get any messagges or errors. It just stall at 0% on the gathering info step 2.

after disconnecting external devices attached to the pc did you try to run the upgrade.

Upgrading to Vista from Windows XP is a one-way street. You can’t return to Windows XP once you’ve installed Vista. Don’t upgrade unless you’re sure you’re ready for Vista.

1. Make sure your computer is ready for Vista.

Before upgrading, run through the following checklist:

• Compatibility: Check out Vista's Upgrade Advisor (on the left). The program alerts you beforehand what parts of your computer may not run well under Windows Vista.

• Security: Turn off your antivirus software and other security programs. They may innocently try to protect you from Windows Vista’s upgrade process.

• Backup: Back up all your important data on your Windows XP PC.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD into your DVD drive and choose Install Now.

Compatability had one program that I previuosly uninstalled.
I Uninstalled all antivirus programs
All data was backed up.It still stalled after I did all this earlier.

remove the vista disk from the drive and follow the steps given below.

oindows xp screen click on start select run and type in cmd and hit enter.

Now you will see a black windows type in

sfc /scannow on the command line and hit enter.

U have good ideas.
I tried that one also
i did cc cleaner,
registry cleanner
malwarebytes program
spybot
I use zonealarm antivirus progra.
I uninstalled all before trying upgrade.

i will openn the question to other experts for there views as i am running out of ideas.

thanks

no problem.

Tech Support Specialist: Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Are you using Windows XP 64 Bit version or 32 Bit version ? What is the version of Vista upgrade ?

If you have an upgrade copy of a 32-bit version of Windows Vista, you can start the upgrade while running your existing version of Windows.

If you are using an upgrade copy of a 64-bit version of Windows Vista to upgrade a 64-bit version of Windows XP Professional, you must perform a clean installation of Windows Vista.

Please check the following Microsoft KB article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-vista/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-vista

Regards

Jins

Jins M. N.
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist