Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

Attempted to upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10. System

Customer Question

attempted to upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10. System and screen now constantly on/off fluttering. can't get a stable screen to attempt anything.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

This is a problem Ive encountered and solved, multiple times. If we complete these steps, the problem will be solved.

Here's how to fix the issue.

After you login, when you see the flashing screen.

Press ctrl alt delete, do not click task manager. Instead, click the power button at the lower right

Now, hold down shift on your keyboard, and while holding it. Click restart.

On the next screen, click troubleshooting, then click advanced, then click startup settings, then click restart

On the next screen, press F5 to choose safe mode with networking.

Once in safe mode.

Press Ctrl Alt Delete on your keyboard.

Select task manager, click more details, at the top left click new task, type in services.msc

On the services window, scroll down to the windows error reporting service.

Right click it, stop it.

Right click it again, click properties, change the startup type to disabled. Then click apply.

Now, restart the computer.

Still flashing or good to go?

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did not work, I had to reset system to factory specs. Thanks not in order
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.

Had you responded back to me. We could have and would have worked through the issue.

The next time you seek tech support, it will work better if you actively take part in the process.

D.S

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

.