How to solve screen flickering Y50 4K Touch. It only happens

Customer Question
when power adapter is connected....
How to solve screen flickering Y50 4K Touch. It only happens when power adapter is connected.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
8/25/2015
Tech Support Specialist: Martin, Network Engineer replied 2 years ago
Martin, Network Engineer
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.
This is a very common problem with the Y50 and it's usually due to a faulty motherboard.
Is yours still under guarantee?
Please reply using the box below.
Regards,
Just a sec, verifying ...

Thank you

No, I think the support ended a month ago

When did the problem begin?

A week ago

Have you been able to run any tests other than the power adapter?

For example, do you know if the problem happens in safe mode as well?

No, the only other test is when unplugged, the computer works fine.
Right now the computer is plugged and the flickering occurs only from time to time, in other occasions it occurs frequently.

Must be really annoying.

Would you like me to connect to your computer via a remote session so I can help you diagnose the problem? Maybe we can save you a few bucks of having to take it into an electronics engineer to fix it for you.

I am also a computer consultant and an electronics engineer! I am just trying to get an answer from a technician that has experience with this kind of computers. I see you do not have the experience.

I can opt out of your question if you would rather speak to someone else?

Were you able to test it under safe mode as I suggested?

Are we going to get disconnected if I restart the computer and test under safe mode?

Only while your computer is off, you can always get back to me using the link sent to your email by JustAnswer

OK, let me try. Since the screen is not flickering at the moment I do not know how I am going to accomplish anything. What kind of testing do you want me to do?

Try it plugged and unplugged while in Safe Mode to see if you can get it to flicker, if you can't then it's a software (driver) conflict and you can look for a solution that way

But I can not make it flicker now. I have already tried loosing up the power adapter, plug and unplug it, and the screen refuses to flicker
It may be due to the fact the battery has already charged to the capacity I have set it to stop charging, let me change the battery settings and see if that starts the problem.
Ok. See if you can get it to flicker in normal mode first then switch to safe mode and try to replicate the problem.
Ok, the problem started as soon as I changed the settings and started typing. I will stop typing ansd see if the flickering stops. Then I will restart in safe mode, just a sec.
Ok, problem occurs even wiyhout typing, restarting in safe mode....

How did it go?

It went very bad. The computer started flickering so bad that was not usable. So I talked to Lenovo Tech Support and they helped me to restart in normal mode, they also sent a new Power adapter. Using the new power adapter does not solve the problem. I also updated the Nvidia drivers to the newest version and I am working using those new drivers now, the flickering is still present. I am going to configure windows to use the Nvidia card for just everything and see if that has any impact.
Any other suggestion?

Why were you stuck in Safe Mode? Did you go into it from msconfig as opposed to the advanced startup settings? msconfig would definitely get you stuck in safe mode!

I think I will opt out of your question as troubleshooting it this way won't get us very far - I could probably fix this for you via a remote session in less than an hour but I am not available to connect tonight.

Let me know if you're interested in the remote session or if you'd prefer me to opt out so you can either request a refund or speak to someone else who may be able to help you via textual instructions - some problems need to be looked at by a professional before changing settings as the problem could become more difficult to fix later.

Good to hear from you.

Ok, if you want to opt out it is fine with me. I am not interested in the remote session because there is no warranty the problem will be fixed.

The remote session is guaranteed just like when you post your question, you have 30 days after asking your question to request a refund if you're not happy with the results.

Is that what you are referring to?

Ok, let's schedule a remote session, I am busy now, I can accept the offer when we have some time to work together.

Sounds good, send me a message when you'd like to continue.

I will.

Speak to you then!

Hi Martin, I will not have time for a remote session in the near future. I am going to be very busy in the next three weeks.
It is very sad we have not been able to solve the problem.

Oh that's a shame, I can keep your question open if you'd like to continue in a couple of weeks when you're back if you like, alternatively you can cancel your question using this link:

ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

All the best,

Martin, Network Engineer