I have a new macintosh pro laptop with a 10.10.1 system. I

Customer Question
have installed all of the...
I have a new macintosh pro laptop with a 10.10.1 system. I have installed all of the programs I need on it. I have to create a boot disk that will load all the programs onto my other macs. I am a teacher, so I have 39 more laptops to put all of the software
on. In the past I had a technician that made me a boot disk image that he put on an external hard drive for me. I would boot up on the external drive and then select the disk image with the operating system and all the programs I need to use to teach my students
for the coming year. He is no longer with us and no one knows how to do this including me. I would like to get exact instructions on how to do this and get it to work please.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
8/24/2015
Tech Support Specialist: Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

There are many ways to clone a drive on Mac OS X, but none quite as simple and effective as Carbon Copy Cloner. The Carbon Copy Cloning will be best for waht you are doing, it has disk cloning utilities that will get the job done that you need.

Carbon Copy Cloner

Platform: Mac OS X
Price: $40
Download Page

• Features>>>> Create an exact clone of any disk
  • Create a bootable backup of your Mac OS X boot drive
  • Easily migrate files from one disk to another
  • Supports block-level disk-to-disk clones (this basically means it copies everything faster, as file-to-file copy can take a bit longer)
  • After the first backup, you can sync changes to quickly update your backups
  • Archive old and deleted versions of files
  • Back up to a hard drive, network share, or disk image
  • Schedule backup tasks hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly
  • Configure backups to occur when you plug in the backup drive
  • Back up to another Mac on your network or somewhere else on the internet
  • Super-simple interface makes it easy to use
  • "Cloning coach" helps new users learn to make the right choices when cloning a drive
  • Disk image backups can be encrypted
  • Backups are compatible with Apple's Migration Assistant, so you can use a cloned drive to migrate to a new Mac
  • Please let me know if you need any other assistance.
    Please take a moment to rate my service positively.
    Thank you very much!
Hi Randy,
I have to say I am surprised that that is my answer from you for $58. I have already downloaded Carbon Copy. They suggest you try it for 30 days before you buy and it did not work. The files it gave were not a .dmg and it did not boot. I have also tried disk utility and I don't know enough to use it when it is asking about partitions. I expected a detailed answer like requested, like I paid for.Danna

okay, I will open the question back to our experts and see if they can help. Thank you for your patience.

Thank-you, do you know when someone else will take it as I am sitting here waiting. I have to get this done tonight. Thanks, Danna
Tech Support Specialist: CompDoc, Information Systems Manager replied 2 years ago
CompDoc
CompDoc, Information Systems Manager

If he did what I think he did you plyg the external drive into another MAC. When booting hold down "Option key". Pick the external drive. It should boot off the external drive.

• Connect the external drive or device to the Mac
  • Reboot the Mac and after the startup chime hold down the OPTION key during boot until you see the boot selection menu
  • Click the external volume to boot from it

You will find that external drives typically are shown with an orange icon, with their interface printed on the icon itself. Similarly, CD’s and DVD’s are shown with a disc icon.

I checked on line and that is correct

1. Connect the external drive or device to the Mac
  2. Reboot the Mac and after the startup chime hold down the OPTION key during boot until you see the boot selection menu
  3. Click the external volume to boot from it

After this steps, you will find that external drives typically are shown with an orange icon, with their interface printed on the icon itself. Similarly, CD’s and DVD’s are shown with a disc icon. In this screen shot example, the right-most orange boot drive is a USB flash disk.

This works for quite literally any boot volume, whether it’s an external USB drive of any sort, a Thunderbolt hard drive, boot DVD, CD, the Recovery partition, even in dual-boot environments with other versions of OS X, or a Linux or a Windows partition with Boot Camp, if it’s bootable and connected to the Mac it will be visible at this boot manager.

Though boot DVD’s and CD’s will be visible through the aforementioned boot manager, you can also start the Mac directly to DVD or a connected disc by holding down the “D” key during restart after you hear the chime. This is fairly uncommon these days, but it was the primary method of accessing recovery partitions before OS X became a download from the App Store, and before USB installer drives became more common.

Additionally, Macs with recovery partitions can be start directly into Recovery HD by holding down Command+R during system start.

Though recovery and discs can be booted with their own commands, it’s ultimately easier to just remember the Option key method since it is a single key and because it’s universal. The only exception is with target disk mode, which requires a different sequence to use.

Please test and let me know how it goes.

My question is how do I make the boot disk? I know how to boot it. Carbon Copy did not work for whatever reason. Also, once I have made the boot disk, I would want to copy it so I can boot at least four laptops at a time so this will go faster. Do I just copy the disk and drag it onto another external drive to copy it or do I have to make a boot disk from scratch for each one?

http://www.macworld.com/article/2367748/how-to-make-a-bootable-os-x-10-10-yosemite-install-drive.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60xm_rGRvo4

You would have to make each one. A jumpdrive is a faster installer than a cd. Web site #2

CompDoc
CompDoc
CompDoc, Information Systems Manager