Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I am on a network at my job and I have been experiencing

Customer Question

I am on a network at my job and I have been experiencing serious problems with my computer running extremely slow. I really believe that someone haws hacked into my computer because every time my computer runs slow is when a gentleman in my office is logged onto his computer. When he logs off his computer I hear a thumping sound on my computer as if I removed a CAC card from the drive and my computer screen blinks and shakes when he removes his card. How can I verify this on my own computer that someone else is logged onto my computer with me.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

thats tougher to do than you would think because there are so many ways it can be done.

probably your best bet is to just shut down whatever is being used to get in.

malwarebytes usually gets anything like that

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

it is the BLUE box that says download now and the file name is mbam-setup.exe

dont take anything from an advertising download button

you can also look in your program files for a legitimate screen sharing tool that might be installed though those would usually pop something up saying that someone is connected

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really sure if your saying that it is hard to do or is it hard for me to be able to detect. So are you saying to go to the bleeping site and do what. What are some of the screen sharing tools commonly used today.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

hard to detect.

download and run the malware bytes program from the webpage i gave you

there are dozens of screen connect programs these days

pcanywhere / elsinore / teamviewer / anydesk are some of the most popular

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
really there is no way to detect if someone is on your computer unless you are the administrator? Is there a way to detect if someone is listening to your conversations through your computer because I swear this guy is spying on me. Really creepy. I noticed in a part of my computer where it says listening and had all these IP addresses listed. Does that mean all these addresses have the ability to listen through my computer.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

those are IP ports that have a connection to your computer. It doesnt mean there is somebody using them to look at you or your computer. They go up for a wide variety of reasons and a lot more than you would think.

every time you open a website it puts one up for the website. Any advertising on the website may have an additional one.

virtually every program on your computer now has an automatic update service that opens one up to see if there are any updates on its home server.

you might have connections to the server at your job to printers at your job etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
listening through my computer can't happen? I know it sounds weird, but I tell you this guy is really creepy. One last question. Can another workstation/computer be setup just like mine, in another room that can allow others access to my computer. How can I tell if my computer has been re-imaged. I was working at my desk and all of a sudden my OUTLOOK changed right before my eyes. All the background colors changed, My calendars that I maintain were changed. The colors and labels changed back to square one. It was like it went back to the beginning state from when I first started using OUTLOOK. When I went in to change the colors on my calendar, it told me that "this is the first time you have used this color would you like to save it". I had used that color since 2013 and it wasn't the first time. I think someone reimaged or reloaded my Outlook without my knowledge. Is this possible.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

there may be somebody going in there. but a reimage on another machine would not do anything to your machine. it would be a duplicate from the time it was created but still totally separate. Like two twins born to the same mother but they go into other rooms if you feed one of them the other does not get fat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just sent you a reply. Did you get it?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

this was the last post i got from you

So listening through my computer can't happen? I know it sounds weird, but I tell you this guy is really creepy. One last question. Can another workstation/computer be setup just like mine, in another room that can allow others access to my computer. How can I tell if my computer has been re-imaged. I was working at my desk and all of a sudden my OUTLOOK changed right before my eyes. All the background colors changed, My calendars that I maintain were changed. The colors and labels changed back to square one. It was like it went back to the beginning state from when I first started using OUTLOOK. When I went in to change the colors on my calendar, it told me that "this is the first time you have used this color would you like to save it". I had used that color since 2013 and it wasn't the first time. I think someone reimaged or reloaded my Outlook without my knowledge. Is this possible.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

i can log into your computer remotely to look around and try to lock it off for you if you want. But if you havent got admin rights on the computer i wont be able to do anything and you wont even be able to get the remote software loaded most likely.

In that case you would have to talk to the IT dept at your company and tell them your concerns or just tell them your computer is all screwed up and doing funny things and bug them till they give you a new one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry if I confused you but I was referring to my own computer being reimaged. Is it possible for it to be reimaged in the background and I not know it. That could be why my computer is running super slow. Also, back to the first question. Why is the other guys actions he take on his computer affecting mine. When he pulls his CAC card out it makes a thumping sound on my computer and makes it jump. It sounds as though when you pull a thumb drive out of a computer, the thumping sound it makes to let you know something has been removed or happened to your computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No admin rights
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

that puts you in a place where there is absolutely nothing that you can do to stop it or even prove it. I am real sorry but you have to get your IT department involved. if you dont want to sound silly just tell them all the things that the computer is doing and how slow it is. call them over every time it does it. I have worked in those places eventually they will get sick of dealing with it and just give you a new computer or re image this one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
really I am back at square one. IT department is no help. Connection between this creepy guy and manager.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

I am really sorry. I wish i could help you more but without admin rights you cant even change any settings that might stop him. But he may just be a creepy guy and your computer is just a bit flakey. Dont work yourself up too much.