Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

OK, I give up. After installing Windows 10 on three

Customer Question

OK, I give up. After installing Windows 10 on three machines. 2 1/2 have this problem.
Left click on windows does not work, and search does not work. I probably said not now for Cortana. The laptop that has 2 user accounts, one is working with Cortana; the main one is not. Got to be some kind of setting. Does anyone have detail instructions to reactivate either Cortana or search or both? Thanks.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. If you hold down the Windows logo key (just to the left of the spacebar) and press S, does it invoke the search function on any of your machines?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me try on another machine
windows+s not working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry didn't see the send button
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any clue other than buying an Apple?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
You can scan and repair system files. This may fix it. Hold down the Windows key and press X. From the menu on the left select
Command prompt (Admin)
At the blinking prompt in the black window type: sfc /scannow
and press Enter. The utility will scan the system files and attempt to repair any found to be corrupt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did that about a week ago, also purchased and ran Reimage...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by the way Win+x works and redoing on another machine ( also ) new window on desktop works on right click
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any other suggestions or are we done? Since one of the user accts on this machine does Cortana and search it seems to be a setting rather than a corrupt system file. I will try to set up another (third) user account and see if it works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Later today..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any other advice, please email me, I think we are done now as you are not responding.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. I apologize. I was going to suggest creating another account with administrative rights to see if that would work. Cortana and search should work across multiple user profiles on the same machine.
From the Desktop open This PC. Click Open Settings. In the upper right search area type: cortana
On the left you should see Cortana and Search Settings
does it open for you?