Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I cannot boot up to Windows 10 which I recently installed

Customer Question

I cannot boot up to Windows 10 which I recently installed and no past problems accessing. Now I get an error message \Boot\BCD . I cannot find my recovery discs made 4 years ago. I tried the boot menu using F12 at the startup screen and got no where since I am not computer knowledgeable. I am using (obviously) another PC to send this message
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Can you tell me the make and model of the computer please?
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had a problem sending this reply. Will try now again. It is DX4850-45u
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
I want to try to get to the recovery menu.
Power off the computer
Then power it on and keep tapping F11 until you get to the recovery menu.
Tell me please if you can get to this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The only way I could get to the recovery window was alt F10. I do not want to lose any data on my hard drive which is one option.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, we need to do the reinstall, this we cannot avoid, but choose to REFRESH not Reset, the PC and this will do the reinstall but leave your files on the computer (programs you will need to install again).
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All programs will have to be re-installed. I have lots and many were downloads to newest versions.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok... well we have to do this step.. I understand you do not like the hassle but if you want to use the computer again then this is what we need to do.
If your dead against this, then there is no need to reply as there are no other options.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try but am too tired today and will mull this over. Microsoft has done it again!!!
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, I am not being difficult but you have to do this step sorry as the entire system has corrupted.
I have marked this question to never close so you can try at a later date and let me know the results here. This is no problem. But if it fails to run, it will mean you will have to obtain a windows disk to resolve this, and then you will need to take the computer into a store to have your data copied off the hard drive first so not to lose it.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
any if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had a lots of activity going on at home. I decided to stop working with the computer myself and took it to the local Staples Store where I purchased this laptop that is being used now. They agreed the system was corrupted. They will save all the data (hopefully none has been lost), recover the system (to 7) and reinstall all my programs. Unfortunately this is costing me a lot of $. I only installed Windows 10 to see if any programs would not run and was going to uninstall back to 7. Too late! Thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok no problem, it is easier if they can did this for you.
Any problems though, just keep my instructions if you have to do it yourself.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you