Dvd stuck in computer-Eject program does not respond-no

Customer Question
eject button on the drive...
dvd stuck in computer-Eject program does not respond-no eject button on the drive
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
8/9/2015
Tech Support Specialist: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you. Almost all DVD drives will have a manual eject. This will look like a small pin hole on the drive itself. What you need to do is get a paper clip or small pin and stick it into this hole, push it in firmly and it should unlock and eject the disc. If you cannot find this hole please tell me the exact make and model of computer so I can guide you better.

Thanks,
Chris

I have an Asus desktop and the dvd drive doesn't have an eject button on it or any holes on it. The only way to eject a cd is to use the "eject" program but that just ends up giving me the spinning ball & even task manager cannot stop it. Have had to cut power to be able to restart computer. Obviously if I get this thing out-it will hit the trash

Which model of asus, do you know? I have never seen a DVD drive that did not have a manual eject feature, it is usually a tiny hole under the tray of the DVD drive, if you still cannot find it try and find a model number for the computer.

cg5270

Ok I am going to look for the service manual for this model. In the meantime try clicking start or opening windows explorer so you can view your drives, next right click the cd drive and choose eject. Let me know if you hear any noise from the drive itself when you do this. If you do not know how to do what I said above let me know.

when I do that it only gives me the in process circle-no noise & it basically freezes my computer. I think it looks like the only way will be to shut it down, unplug everything & physically remove the drive. Was hoping you might know of another way

I don't think you should have to physically remove the drive. It is very odd by design that it does not have the manual eject button. Try ejecting in safe mode. Reboot the computer and keep tapping F8 until you get some options, next choose safe mode. Once in safe mode try ejecting by clicking start, computer, right click the drive, eject.

I also know that this model has a face plate covering the actual drive, you should need to press on that to see the drive. I just wanted to make sure you were doing that and confirmed that there is absolutely no pin hole to be found. Seems completely odd that they would not have this but I suppose it is possible but very rare to not have a manual eject. I cannot think of any drive I have ever seen that did not have this as a solution for problems like you are facing but I suppose it is possible that they chose do use a drive that does not have this feature.

The reason had you try safe mode by the way is because the disc is trying to be read by windows which is why it will not eject, in safe mode the that should not happen so I am hoping the eject command will function.

It never went into safe mode but the eject function finally worked . That cd is trash & I think I am going to look into a different drive that has an eject button now. Thanks

You are very welcome. The problem was probably that windows was trying to read an unreadable disc or the drive is malfunctioned. When that happens it will not respond to the eject command. Honestly as you said you may be better off with a new drive, they are pretty cheap now, something like this should do you fine http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

If we are finished for now please make sure to rate my service 3 or more is very appreciated. You can still come back to me anytime if you have follow up questions on this issue.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris L., Support Specialist