Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I recently upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. I had no problems

Customer Question

I recently upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. I had no problems with the upgrade. Suddenly my local drive and an external drive is full of folders with names like: e43330ed45a9ff8e7c0abc0e82
I deleted a;; the folders on my external drive and rebooted my computer and as soon as I plugged my external drive in more folders started showing up. It looks like windows updates folders - there we several thousand that got created yesterday. In the last 15 minutes over 200 have been created.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today, I'm sorry about the issue, please Go to the start menu and type in cmd. right-click on cmd and select run as administrator. Then type in the folowing: sc stop wuauserv (and hit enter)sc stop BITS (and hit enter) You should see a STOP_PENDING if successfull. This will close the services automatic updates and background transfer service. Now try to delete them.Let me know the results Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did that but it didn't seem to help - I deleted the files on my external HD but as soon as I did more showed up. Here is a screenshot from my CMD prompt - http://screencast.com/t/nVCtj3tpinKD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just tried to stop shoes service again (to make sure I did it as admin). http://screencast.com/t/mMKGMn7K
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
Would you like me to set up a remote session , which will allow me to connect directly to your screen and check this for you ? Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sure...we can do a remote session
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
Please downlaod teamviewer from this link : www.teamviewer.com and run it. It will give you an ID and a password. Please tell me the ID and the password ***** I can connect to your desktop and fix the problem remotely. Note : Do not close teamviewer thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ID: 173 844 225 PWD: 4906
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If you have a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the faces below, positive ratings are appreciated. Thank you
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
Windows Update files are temporary files created by the operating system, and you can delete them after ue update finishes hope this helpThank you
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
Do you still need help please? If you have a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the faces below, positive ratings are appreciated. if you need further help let me know and i will gladly continue to help
JustAnswer has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. We value you as a customer and very much want you to be satisfied.
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi...the problem started occurring again over the weekend
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Can you run teamviewer again and send me your ID and Password ***** you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have confirmed with Microsoft that this behavior is not normal as you suggest that it is. I am now working with Microsoft to correct the issue. Deleting files/programs etc. will not correct this.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
You can stop this behavior by desactivating windows updates. please do not rate my answer. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi...how exactly do I stop the updates? I don't mind turning them off and checking manually for updates
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
Hi, please follow these instructions : 1-Click on start, run and type : services.msc 2-Scroll down until you find windows update 3-click startup type and select disable 4-click Ok and restart your computer Thank you
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
Note : Only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did that and it's still creating the folders.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
first delete the folders then desactivate the updates
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did that - deleted the folders and deactivated the service, but it's still creating the folders
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
Please run teamviewer and send me your ID and password ***** i can fix this remotely thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ID is 173 844 225
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PWD: 6917
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
Hold on please.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
Hold on please.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
Hold on please.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
can you run again teamviewer and send me your new password ***** you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PWD: 4932
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry about that - I had to reboot - PWD is 4932
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
it's ok, connected nowthanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
New PWD: 5050 External HD is disconnected
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm here but I will be unavailable to chat for the next few minutes
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
Click Start, and TYPE regedit in the search boxClick on Edit then FindSearch for DontrefreshRight click on Dontrefresh and click ModifyChange the Hexadecimal value from 1 to 0
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I searched for that, but no matches in the registry were found
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
is the problem still remains please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the problem is still occurring.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
can you send me your id and password ***** thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PWD: 2139
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
I fear I am not making progress with this case, and cannot necessarily deliver what you are seeking,so I must Opt Out, with sincere regrets. If and when another Expert takes up the case, you ought to receive a notification email. DO NOT RATE MY SERVICE. This way another can take over. Thank you
Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 years ago.
no that is not normal but they sound more like folders that windows uses for its restore command than anything else. its still not at all normal for it to be doing so many. i dont know what the other expert tried but you can try doing a system restore to before it started happeningthere are also some repair options available if you right click on the start button and select settings and then accounts and recoverySystem restore instructions - windows 7 or 8 8.1hold the windows logo key down and hit Rtype rstrui.exe in the run box that comes up and hit enter select restore to an earlier date. Under the "suggested restore" which is usually not old enough to help is a link for "OTHER RESTORE POINTS"click that if the suggested ones are not BEFORE THE PROBLEM STARTEDchoose a date that is BEFORE you experienced the problemhit ok / restorethe computer will start to shut down a restoring settngs box will appear with a status barwhen it finishes your computer will restart with the same settings it had on the date you restored to. your data will not be affected. It is not perfect. But it fixes a lot of things.