Nathan, Systems Manager
Experience:  Own/operate computer networking/IT company.
59725966

I have a HP 2175 printer. I replaced one of the cartridges.

Customer Question

I have a HP 2175 printer. I replaced one of the cartridges. The screen says "Initializing", then "Press Enter" to align but when I do so the message is "Busy". There is nothing waiting to be printed. The printer makes a sound as though it is "cycling", again and again. HELP!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc). What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.Then reset the machine:unplug power at the wall outletwait 5 minutespress and hold the power/on button for 60+ secondskeep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've tried it a couple of times and even put the old black cartridge (the one I was replacing) back in. Didn't work. The message is "BUSY" then "Printing in Progress" but it continues to make the cycling sound and all lights flash. Any other suggestions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Latest message "Scanner Failure", then instructions to turn power off and then on again. Didn't work.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the updates.
Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect,
meaning a faulty ogic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also
often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2003 model, that type of failure
wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life.
This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While
it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. a logic board would run you $200-250 though parts haven't been available for 7+years at this point. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine
with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense
than buying the new part for an older printer.
Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or
recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.
Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,