How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dustin Your Own Question
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Category: Computer
Satisfied Customers: 13210
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
Type Your Computer Question Here...
Dustin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I changed my HHD to a SHHD, in the process of dismantling my

Customer Question

I changed my HHD to a SHHD, in the process of dismantling my dell Inspirion laptop, I placed my finger nail under the keyboard connector to the MB and pulled upwards as I have done in the past, except this time the little locking device shattered due to
heat and age. Dell does not sell the part, I do have pictures that I can forward. I need some kind of fix or work around or the part that I can resolder to MB. However I do not understand how the system works, let me explain. The keyboard ribbon has many connectors
on the end of the ribbon, however, the top of the contactors are coated with a thick coat of plastic. I suppose this holds the pins in order a properly spaced for insertion into the MB Connector that broke. The under side of the ribbon is coated with a lighter
coat of plastic, thus I am a bit perplexed on how the connection is made. May need an exploded view to understand. If the device were working all you would do is place the ribbon in the slot hold in place with a little pressure and then close the top pc which
shattered by pushing down gently, this pinches the ribbon, makes contact and holds ribbon in place. What I can not see is if the broken pc, penetrates the plastic or some way guides the ribbon onto the pins in the MB connector. I do not see holes in the plastic.
Without the top pc. the ribbon has no "home" in the connector. It does not snap in, push in etc, it just seems to be there. So I taped in in place which worked only if I placed my finger on top of the ribbon and tape, the keyboard worked fine. W/O pressure
from finger, nothing, no response etc........ Can you help me jury rig this deal or get the real part as I do not want to throw computer away because of one broken part. Thank you, Tom (Dan, you have helped me in the past)
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tom, this is Dustin from, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. Ive been in your exact situation before. Without knowing the exact model number of your inspiron I will have a hard time locating the part. Some inspirons have the keyboard connector connected to t he motherboard, others have it connected to the palmrest like this If you had an inspiron 1420 then you could order that palm rest above and it would solve the issue. ( as it would come with a new unbroken latch) So the question is, whats your exact model of inspiron? In the meantime, a "workaround" would be to take a sticky pad similar to this Put the tape on the connector to hold it in place. And then, stick some pads to the underside of t he keyboard so that when you put the keyboard in place, it holds pressure on the connector and keeps your keyboard working. So basically you want to cut the pad to fit right over top of t he keyboard connector, so that it puts pressure on it when the keyboard is in place ( just like your finger would) That would work. But if you want to order the correct part, send me the full model of your dell and Ill find it for you. I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.