Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I recovered some deleted files from my drive but now some

Customer Question

I recovered some deleted files from my drive but now some files are showing corrupted. How would I fix this?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 years ago.
when you say recovered what exactly do you mean?if you used a commercial undelete program to recover deleted files from the drive they may not be fully recoverable.the way that works is when a file is marked deleted it tells the computer that the space used by the file is available for something else. depending on how badly the computer needs the space it may sit there for awhile and be recoverable before the computer uses part of it for something else. However once it does use it that part of the file is no longer recoverable. It may then show up as corrupted if you do recover it and attempt to use it. Whether you can do something about it or not depends on the type of file. A text file for example you can probably view but it might be missing data. A picture or song probably is going to be total garbage. an ms word file you might be able to pull out the actual text but not all the formatting. If the program said that they were fully recoverable you can try the recovery again. There might also be multiple copies of the file that show in the recovery program and the latest ones might be recoverable but older ones wont be. Most recovery programs will tell you with a color code or description whether the file is fully recoverable or not. Other than that the best i can do is take a look at the files myself if you want to send them to me and see what if anything i can do with them. But remember if the file was not all there to recover there are going to be gaps in it at best. Because the data just wasnt there to recover any more.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what happened I ran a backup that over wrote a drive. I ran a program to recover the files but some MS Office files were corrupted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have attached three files as examples
Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 years ago.
there is not much left in the exel files. they are only 15ki was able to read them as text and drop them back into excel but at best you have 30 lines of data and would have to pull it out and put it back in the right columnsi am attaching one to show you what i found. this is what is actually in the file and this is ALL that is in the file.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 years ago.
the word file was total garbage the other excel file looked about the same as the first. To me it looks like the computer used the space taken by the file for some sort of temp file the recover program pulled out what was in the physical space where the file was at one time but it was no longer there. It had been over written by a temp file the computer used for some sort of log of activities.I am very sorry but i dont think that there is anything there to recover. The best that you can do is try the recovery program again and see if you can find another copy somewhere on the drive.