Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I want to connect the video only from my Gateway NV59 laptop

Customer Question

I want to connect the video only from my Gateway NV59 laptop to my LGTV, and connect my audio through my sound board. The reason is to use it for Karaoke
Category: Computer
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.
Have you ever ran this kind of setup before or is it your first time?
After plugging the HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV, did you do anything else?
If so, list everything you've done both on the TV and laptop so I get a good idea of what needs to be done.
Please reply using the box below.
Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is the first time setting it up this way. After plugging in the HDMI cable from my computer to my LEDTV I connected the audio from my computer to my professional sound board through the headphone outlet on my computer with RCA cables
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The TV had both the video and the audio working where nothing worked on the sound board
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
That sounds right, the TV will output the video and sound via the HDMI cable cancelling out the audio from the sound board. Your computer can use a sound card and if it's the default device it will send the sound via HDMI.
If you use VGA / RCA instead you can send the audio separately to the TV but since HDMI does it all it's not necessary.
Is the sound board enabled to be used on Windows so the outputted sound goes through that first before sending it to the TV?
And, are you getting an image? Judging by your last reply that would be a yes but I'm asking to make sure.
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I purchased a RGB connector with RCA connectors I attached the yellow cable to the TV for the video and attached the red and white cables to the sound board but neither worked
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
When you plug it via RCA you need to make sure you project the image to the screen again by pressing the WindowsKey+P on your computer and set it to duplicate, then on the TV you need to find it in one of the AV channels.
Did you do that and still get no results?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried but couldn't find it in the AV channels, it gives me a no signal response
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
What does the RCA connect to on the computer, is it straight into VGA or into HDMI?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
into VGA
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the cable in question is about 7 inches long with the RGC connector on one end and the RCA red white and yellow connectors on the other end, this is where I connecte the yellow cable to the TV
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
After setting Windows' projector settings to "duplicate" (With the WindowsKey+P shortcut) and not being able to find it on AV, try restarting the computer and check that the settings for the projector are still on duplicate, then look again in the AV channels.
If the TV has another set of RCA input slots, test them out as well.
Just a question, where does the sound board come in? Can you give me a visual description of what's connected to what?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The sound board is a Berringer Europower 4000. When I am using my computer only for the Karaoke the video is on my screen and I hook up the computer to the sound board through red and white RCA cables that are connected from the headset outlet on my computer to my input channels on the board then from there my board is connected to my speakers.
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
So everything works with the same setup, only instead of plugging the yellow RCA to the TV for video output you use the karaoke directly from your laptop, right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes but the people want to see the words on a larger TV than my laptop. When I was using Karaoke CD's I was able to hook up the larger TV through the Karaoke player via the yellow RCA connector but now I am using my internal as well as an external hard drive for the karaoke songs and would like to project the image on the larger TV as before
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
I understand, do you have another monitor or TV you can test to see if we can isolate the problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried it on my other TV and it still did not work
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
And with HDMI straight to the TV, does it work on both?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I connect with HDMI both the audio and the video works
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Have you considered the VGA port on the laptop might not be working?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's possible, I've never used it before this
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
That, or the VGA cable itself might be faulty - it would be good if you could test the VGA/RCA cable on its own with a monitor and/or on another computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try it on another laptop
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Ok great
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't even get the screen to appear when I hit the windows key+P
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
If the option to choose a projector doesn't come up with WindowsKey+P then it might be a driver problem on the other computer, if it does and it won't appear it can also be a driver problem to which you would have to uninstall the video card from the device manager and download a new driver for your video card.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's an older computer, running Vista so who knows whats wrong with it, I seldom use it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's getting late here on the East Coast so why don't we tackle this issue when we have more time, I'm sure you want to get home
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Ok sure thing, see if you can isolate the problem in the meantime with the ideas we shared so we can rule out if it's the computer, the cable, the VGA port or the TV.
Good night!