I'm Bob in Virginia beach.I have several XPsp3 computers…

Customer Question
hello, I'm Bob in Virginia...
hello, I'm Bob in Virginia beach.
I have several XPsp3 computers which before last week were all working fine. This one is exhibitin too much data flow on the router channel. I suspect malware or a virus but I ran the program which said it had a severe auto downloading malare but it was supposed to have renmoved it. I have swapped cables etc. and I know it is the computer and not the router. I can't figure out how to find out which program if any is the cause.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/18/2015
Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
Im not located too far from you ( Norfolk ). Temperature was up there today.
As far as the computer issue Bob, theres a free program id like you to try.. Just to see if it can find the script / program thats utilizing all that extra bandwidth. Before you try downloading it and installing it. Id like to try and disable as many services on the computer as possible. Heres how to do so
Please press the windows key on your keyboard , hold it down, and press R
type in msconfig and press enter.
on the very top tab,on the top-right section, click on startup, then on the bottom click disable all..
then click apply, then click ok..
Next, click the top tab for services, click to hide all microsoft services. Then click disable all, click apply, click ok,
Now..** restart ** the computer.. Next, lets download the program I mentioned.
You can download hitman pro 3.7 from this page
http://www.surfright.nl/en
( take note, theres a 32 and 64 bit version )
The program is free ( it only requires an email address to activate the trial )
Hitman pro generally runs fast, and its highly effective. When it finishes, click the top virus / malware it finds and choose apply to all > delete from the drop down menu.
Click next at the bottom and next again.. And it should delete everything it found. Once complete, restart the computer again.
Now, whether you were using netmon or viewing traffic logs from the router. Monitor the computer and see if its still chewing up bandwidth as it was before.
if you run into any issues or have any further questions Bob, let me know. I'll stick with you till we resolve this issue.
I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent submitted below this answer when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.
Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Hello again,
I wanted to follow up with you to see if you had any further questions, or needed further assistance with the issue.
If so, please reply when time permits so I can assist you.
If you are satisfied with the help I offered, please click one of the rating icons and submit the rating. As currently my work history shows that I was unable to help you with this question.
Thank you, *****
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist