Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have an older mac. I have a 'spinning' problem. Whenever

Customer Question

I have an older mac. I have a 'spinning' problem. Whenever I access any news website----click on a story that brings me to a magazine such as people or the ny times etc my computer gets hung up----the pinwheel keeps spinning sometimes for hrs & I usually have to reboot 3-4 times a day. It works fine otherwise but is almost unusable. Why is this happening & how can I fix it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
To confirm, are you using Safari or Firefox?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Firefox----the same thing happened when I used safari.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thanks
Power off the mac
Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.
Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window
choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.
Click the First Aid tab.
Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").
Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did that and the was no desk top with an osx menu bar. None of that. It just rebooted the same as always.

Even now---after having rebooted several times before I started with you the computer is 'laboring' - hmming.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It will work if this is a Mac
Can you try again please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is definitely a mac & the 2nd attempt did not work. It is no different that any other time I reboot.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then we have to do this from the Mac disk.
Do you have it there with you? The original disk that came with the mac.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no I don't have the original disk. Do you feel that you actually know what the problem is or are you just troubleshooting? The reason I ask is that here on just answer in 5 previous attempts to fix this---none of them worked---they each left me in compromised positions----lost all my passwords----contacts---problem got worse----developed different problems. I am willing to continue to pursue this but I don't want to go down a potential dead end or worse.

Is there any validity in my theory that the computer just does not have the capacity to handle sites with enormous # ***** files? get's overwhelmed trying to sort through them & that there is nothing that can be done about it. If this is related-I put the maximum amount of ram possible in it.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, its not a question of capability but that thee is something corrupted on the hard disk and we need to repair this.
But we need to the disk to do this, as we are not able to run it from the computer itself (which is what we tried).
We need the disk to do this. When can you get this?