Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.
46034742

My S201HL monitor does not display. Took my computer

Customer Question

hi - my S201HL monitor does not display. Took my computer in this morning to get a processor fan fixed, the tech used high powered spray air to remove lint. The computer & store monitor worked fine. Back home, after starting the computer, an HP Pavillion, the monitor showed the ***** *****ght. I turned it off, and then back on,and got the acer logo on the screen and the star power logo. But then, the 'no signal' blue rectangle, white text.
Turned the computer off, then on again. Same deal. Checked all the cords.. everything plugged in Help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. Do you have only one video cable connected to the monitor and on the back of the computer is it one or two video inputs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
one
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
one video input
Have you tried going into the monitors menu options or do you know how to do that? There should be a function button on the monitor itself you can you push it. You are going to want to navigate to input.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do I see the monitors menu option ? where is the function button? can we please talk?
I'm sorry we don't have the phone support. The buttons should be located on the very bottom of the monitor or on once of the sides. You would need to take a look.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i see the buttons at the bottom. which one do I push?
It should be the one on the far right it should say input.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the far right next to the on-off switch?
Yes that should be the input button push that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just did.... nothing
OK this is a strange manual for your machine tell me what each button has and describe them from left to right. If they say anything I need to know so I have an idea of what we are working with here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
cannot find manual -- buttons are almost hidden. do you have a manual to identify which button?
I have the manual but it doesn't identify the buttons You may have to look under it and tell me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
checking...
I am standing by. Also when you can double check your video cable connection make sure they are secure to the monitor and the computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is nothing written on or around the buttons
OK tell me how many buttons there are all together.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
checking..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
everything is secure
OK how many buttons all together.
Also is the power button on the left or the far right.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
5 buttons plus the power button, far right
OK can you push the button to the left of the power button and tell me if anything shows up on the screen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
monitor is on amber, stand by. I pushed the button to the left, no change
Ok push the button to the far left this time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
in sleep mode, pushed button, nothing. Turned off and then on, pushed far left button, but nothing
OK push each button and tell me if any of them give you a menu option?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
in amber sleep mode, yes? As when I turn it on, it turns blue, the button, that is and then powers down.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have pushed all buttons in sleep mode. Nothing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found manual and CD. Buttons are not described
That's not good if you can't get a menu option with any of the buttons you are pushing then there is a problem with the monitor and it's not the computer. You may want to try removing the video cable from the computer and the monitor and reconnecting. Do you also by chance have a second computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am following switch on directions -- powering off computer and monitor.. restarting now. Yes, I have this laptop I am using to comunicate with you
OK and also the computer turns on I am assuming. If you can connect the video cable to the laptop and tell me if it turns the monitor on and is detected that will tell me if there is a monitor issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did not work with the tower... having to turn on and off, with monitor... now trying with laptop
Ok I am standing by.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
monitor comes on with laptop
This means there is a problem with the computer not the monitor. Ok reconnect it to the computer and then push the power button on the computer tell me what the computer does.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
computer is on, but light indicates it is off. In the last 3 times, when turning off with monitor to turn them on with the monitor being turned on first after they are both off, I have had to pull the plug on the computer to make sure it is off.So, just to reiterate...the computer is working -- i can feel it when I touch it and the fan is working. The power button indicates the machine is off. What should I do?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i just plugged in the vga cable to the computer, but no signal on the monitor
You may have to take the computer back again because for some reason it's not sending out a video signal and if they removed the heat sync or did not fix the cooling system correctly you could be having a cpu malfunction. The computer can run and the fans run and the CPU no respond. Especially if it ever over heated it depends on what they did to it. However we can rule the monitor out now. Are the fans loud?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no. they were loud, then the computer wouldn't start except black screen with white type indicating computer did not see 511 fan. Fan was cleaned and everything put in place and the machine worked with store monitor.
However the malfunction or damage could have already been done. It's sounding like the CPU may either be malfunctioning and would need to be replaced or the cpu needs to be removed and reseated. It looks like that is what is going on. The symptoms match.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
damage before fan was cleaned or after when trying to get cpu & monitor to work here, now? Would plugging and unplugging the computer cause this?
It can cause this however when it was turned back on at the store it could have made things worse and they never noticed it they just say it turned on. You are really going to need to get that corrected which they should have before they let you leave.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it was working fine and had video output to the store monitor
I am very sorry this happened but you are looking at a cpu malfunction. A good example is I can start my car on minute and then the next I start it again the start can fail just an example. This will need to be taken care of for it to run again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am taking it in by 3:15 this afternoon Pacific time
Let me know if you have any other questions and please don't forget to leave positive feedback for my time and information it is how I am compensated. Have a great day.