Trying to find out how take get a website off a third party…

Customer Question
trying to find out how...
trying to find out how take get a website off a third party server
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Computer
6/15/2015
Tech Support Specialist: A. Stevens, Computer Support Specialist replied 3 years ago
A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question!So depending on how your website was setup, the process of transferring would be a little bit different. Do you know if your site was built on a Content Management System (I.E Wordpress, joomla, drupal) or is it just HTML/CSS?

I know the site is on wordpress and the domain name is ***** ***** Solutions. I need to find out how do I go about taking anything that has to do with the website off of the third party server that was providing the website service for me. They are being very difficult to work with and I need to cut them loose.

Great, thanks for that info...are you planning to use the same domain and URL exactly for the new site?
http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress
The instructions on moving a wordpress site is in the link above...once you have everything moved or backed up you can safely delete it from the host at network solutions.
Actually, I found a little more detailed guide for you...do you know where you are planning to move the site to?

Yes, I am pointing the domain name to wix.com. I'm not gonna use WordPress anymore. The problem I'm having is trying to figure out how to get everything off of brightbox. They said I have to take off site from there server or THEY are going to charge me another month. I'm not sure how to do that.

I understand, thanks for that information. So I am a little confused, I assume Brightbox is the previous designer of the site? And your old WP site is hosted on a server at network solutions? Did you create the network solutions account or is that their account?
There are a few ways to delete a WP site...you can do it via the hosts control panel or you can do it via the WP control panel...alternatively you could also connect to the host via FTP and just delete all of the files...but it just depends exactly what they mean by" take the site off their server"

I own the network solution account. They are the previous WP designer. When they say it needs to be off their server, does that mean the WP site? I'm confused as to what I'm suppose to do because I don't have access to the WP site. They are ripping me off big time.

Yeah...definitely sounds like they are ripping you off...
So if all of the WP files are hosted on network solutions..what exactly are they trying to charge you for?
Would you be interested in additional services for a phone call so that we can go over everything in a bit more detail and so that I Can explain to you exactly how WP is set up, and what you can and cannot be charged for?