Chris Lindsey
Chris Lindsey, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  IT Technician at Tech Amelia
78724427

I have an Asus S550 ca laptop that the screen does not light

Customer Question

I have an Asus S550 ca laptop that the screen does not light up, but the indicator lights on the frame come on if the battery is installed. If the battery is not, they will flash for 1/4 second then stay out. Put battery in, turn on power switch and indicator lights come on... can not turn them off even after holding power switch for 60 seconds. Screen never lights up. I measure 19.2 volts out of power adapter plug into the computer. Any ideas..It worked last night, closed the lid, went to sleep, tried it today.. nada..
Category: Computer
Expert:  Chris Lindsey replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would like to personally welcome you to JustAnswer.
This issue has to do with the CPU/GPU on the motherboard which controls the graphics. Are you able to hook the laptop into an external screen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately I don't have a VGA connector that would connect to the VGA port on the laptop. I have HDMI, but I don't think the HDMI connector on the laptop will mirror the screen. Three indicator lights, power, wifi, and Num Lck stay on. HDD light never blinks and none of these will stay on with adapter only and no battery. With battery installed, these are lit constantly. Even depressing power switch for extended period of time will not extinguish the lights. Only way, remove battery.
The HDMI cable will work just fine.
If you are still not getting any video, what we need to do:
-Unplug the charger and take out the battery if able
-Hold down the power button for 10 seconds
-Put in the charger only and try to boot
If there is still no video, let me know and we will go deeper into configuration.
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did this routine last night. I took battery out, removed the adapter and depressed the power key for a full minute..(Asus site stated at least 30 seconds) I've done this on several occasions.. nada.. When I put the adapter in and depress the power switch, the three indicators flash momentarily one time then blank. The power switch does not light in this configuration. If I re-install the battery, the three indicators and the power switch will light if I depress the power switch and once lit can only be turned off by removing the battery. Meanwhile, the touchscreen display never lights up. Could I connect HDMI from laptop to flat screen HDMI connector? My understanding is that the display is only mirrored on the VGA port.
Yes HDMI to a TV would work as well.
Do you know how to remove the bottom door of the laptop and take the ram out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, I can remove the ram...
Let's remove the power then remove the ram. Put one stick in at a time, taking the power in and out each time.
See if the issue is the same.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I removed the secondary memory module. No change except the charging lite is now amber rather than green. All other indications remain the same.. No HDD activity, no caps/num lock led toggle. I exchanged the mem modules on at a time and the original symptoms haven't changes. No HDD. I suspect the CPU has given up the ghost or something.
You have a bad GPU on your board. What we will need to do is remove the motherboard and the accessories plugged into the board out, and bake the board at 275F for 60 minutes, then let cool for 15 minutes.
The board has shorted out solder points and the bake brings them bake to being new. This mainly happens when the GPU is under a lot of stress for a long direction of time.
Let me know if you need help removing the board.
Chris
*Please Choose A Star Rating (or Smiley Face) On This Page Then Click Submit To Rate Your Professional Who Helped You.
Ratings Are Their Personal Background and Positive Ratings Help Their Score. JustAnswer Is Always Here To Answer Your Questions.