My Mac laptop wont load fully. I get a blue screen and the…

Customer Question
My Mac laptop wont load...
My Mac laptop wont load fully. I get a blue screen and the initial turning on noise but no more than a blue screen. Prior to this i was working on some photos and it kept freezing, so i powered it off and when i went to restart... I have tried a few things
but nothing has worked so far ie. safe boot, fsck -fy in single user mode and resetting the NVRAM but never got a progress bar. Please help
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/13/2015
Tech Support Specialist: Chris Lindsey, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 3 years ago
Chris Lindsey
Chris Lindsey, Computer Hardware Engineer
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would like to personally welcome you to JustAnswer.
All of the suggestions you have tried already, this likely leads to a bad hard drive.
I would like for you to do a hard ware test. In the off position, hold down the D key and turn on the laptop, keep holding until hard ware diagnostics comes up.
Let me know.
Chris
I held the 'd' button and turned my laptop on but was unable to get to diagnostics. The screen briefly displayed horizontal stripes but I'm now back to the 'normal' blue screen. I'm assuming that that's bad news?
Thanks, ***** ***** me a lot. The stripes tells me it is hard ware related, either the ram or the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit).
What is the model of your Mac laptop? It should be on the bottom of the case and say for ex. 'Model: A1330'. Once I have it I can tell you how to troubleshoot.
Chris
*Please Choose A Star Rating (or Smiley Face) On This Page Then Click Submit To Rate Your Professional Who Helped You.
Ratings Are Their Personal Background and Positive Ratings Help Their Score. JustAnswer Is Always Here To Answer Your Questions.
Coolio, the bottom information has worn a bit and i cant quite read all of the numbers: Model A12?? maybe 35 or 83 or 85. Is that helpful?
The only model close is a A1286 Macbook.
What we first want to do is shut down the and remove the screws from the bottom of your laptop. Once removed we can take off the metal bottom base.
Look close at this picture:
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Rc5A29Cm3Ns/maxresdefault.jpg
The picture shows removing the ram from the board, you will need to push outwards on the little handles that keep the ram in.
First, remove the battery cable from the board, make sure not to touch the board as it is sensitive to static electricity. Next, remove the ram. When you press outwards on the handles, each ram chip will move up where you will then pull straight out.
Once removed, blow out make sure no dust is in the slots or on the chips. Put one chip in at a time, put the battery in, flip the laptop over and turn on. If no difference, repeat the steps removing the battery first then try the other stick.
If both chips do not work, look around the board and see if you see corrosion as this board is famous of collecting it easily. If none in sight, you have a CPU/GPU that has shorted solder joints. We will need to bake the board in order to correct the issue.
Let me know how the ram chips go.
Chris