I had Google Chrome downloaded on my computer long time

Customer Question
I had Google Chrome downloaded...
I had Google Chrome downloaded on my computer for a long time and no problems. I wanted to download a solitaire collection of games my friend sent me and hit the download arrow and now all my bookmarks are gone and my
Google Chrome page doesn't come up when I sign in. It says "My Way" . I want to get rid of anything I accidentally downloaded and get back to original Google Chrome with all my bookmarks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Computer
5/13/2015
Tech Support Specialist: Russell H., Computer Systems Expert replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What you need to do is, to do a System Restore, to revert your computer system back to its condition as it was before the 'collection of games' was downloaded - and, presumably, reset Chrome and possibly reinstalled it to boot.

System Restore can be done by the following:

Go to
Start - [All] Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore
and choose to Restore system to a previous [etc.], then from the calendar-like interface, choose the first restore point *before* the problem started, then do the restoring.

(Warning: it may help to first disconnect from the internet, then also disable - temporarily, i.e. turn Off - your anti-virus utility, since they can often interfere with the Restore operation completing successfully.... before doing a System Restore.)

The computer will grind away for a while, then restart automatically, then grind away some more, and hopefully will come up with a message that the Restore operation was fully successful.

And hopefully that will cure the problem.

(PS: Do not choose to do a System Restore if you have recently installed any Microsoft software of any considerable cost. Its installation may be reversed, and you may lose money that way. Let me know if you think that's the case, and I will advise you further as to what to do.)

Hi, Russell. What you recommend makes sense and I have had

to do a restore in the past and understand how to do this.

Now it also makes sense that I try this to see if it works before

I rate you. Right? Will I be able to rate you after I do the restore?

Yes, you will be able to rate me. I'm glad my advice seems sensible to you (-but, read all of it. Some details, e.g. disabling your anti-virus software/suite, may not have occurred to you, and are part of my experienced knowledge of the process.)Try it, at your convenience, and let me know how it goes. That's time enough to rate me - no hurry, for sure. (If, after the System Restore, you find it hard to find your question again, just go back to this page:http://www.justanswer.com/computer/93a18-google-chrome-downloaded-computer-long-time.htmlwhich is the page devoted to your question and all responses and postings made to it.)
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert