Mr.Med
Mr.Med, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Networks & Security Engineer
76221641

There, I have an aspire z5700 desktop. The cd/dvd is not

Customer Question

hi there, I have an aspire z5700 desktop. The cd/dvd is not working. It takes the cd's and ejects fine but they won't play. when I put a cd or dvd in it makes a horrendous clicking noise. any way to fix this?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer, my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today,
I'm sory about the issue, When did this start please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This started about 5 months ago but we did not get it fixed and haven't used it since. It is no longer under warranty either.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
Please try to download VLC program from : www.videolan.org/vlc/
VLC is a free multimedia player that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, ect, after you download & install it, please
click start, computer and you should see your dvd reader.
now Insert your dvd, right-click on your dvd reader and choose to play the dvd with VLC program, If it doesn't work, please open VLC and from the menu, click file then "open" and choose your dvd.
If none of that gets it working,, then lets try these repairs next :
Go to : support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems
on the page that comes up. click on the blue run now box, It will start a file download, please download the file and run it, It will run a dignostic process that will attempt to repair and fix your dvd reader,Once finished, Apply any fixes and test again.
Let me know the results please
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. .I tried all this. Nothing working. Now the drive is taking the dvd in and then ejecting it immediately.Sorry I didn't get back sooner.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still with the clicking noises
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
can you try different dvds please and let me know the results
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried ones that are working fine in my pop player but won't play on the pc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Plast at ion that should have said
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated (dirty) or damaged laser lens. You can try to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air :
http://www.amazon.com/Memorex-CD-DVD-Player-Laser-Lens-Cleaner/dp/B00008EM7U
If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly. http://www.goo.gl/SC3V0A
If none of those solutions help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or transport, faulty spindle motor , etc. Any of these issues would require repair or replacement.
If you don't like/want to repair the internal cd/dvd drive, i would suggest to buy an external CD/DVD drive
Hope this help
Your satisfaction is my top goal. If you have a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the faces below, positive ratings are appreciated.
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many Thx med. You've been most helpful.RegardsChanel
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 years ago.
You're very welcome, Your satisfaction is my top goal.If you have a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the faces below, positive ratings are appreciated.
JustAnswer has a 100% satisfaction guarantee, We value you as a customer and very much want you to be satisfied.
Thank you