James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
24111805

My Acer Aspire 4339 is overheating and shutting down. It has

My Acer Aspire 4339 is overheating and shutting down. It has been doing this when using Camtasia 7.1 to produce videos (Mp4s) from recorded ppts. Today it shut down when I was in Google Hangout in a video workshop with fellow professors. CoreTemp shows that it was 81c (maximum is 90c) and it shuts down to protect the laptop.

Any ideas?

What you are describing is not normal, and indicates a problem with the laptop's cooling system.
When the laptop is on for a while, can you hear the fan going, and do you feel air coming out of the vents?

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I only hear the fan kicking in when it seems to get near that critical heating point.

Ok - that's not good. The fan should start going at low speed after a few minutes of usage.
This is most likely a problem with the temperature sensor on the board.

How old is the computer?

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

about 2 years old

I understand. It is still young, so it is probably worth investing a bit of money to fix the problem.
I can give you a website that will repair it via a mail-in service. They have very good good rates, and do a quick, clean job. They will determine if the issue is the sensor or the actual fan, and replace the faulty part for you.

Their website address is www.laptoprepair.com

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I have not heard the fan kick in and the laptop is currently at 54c in one core and 51c in the other.

That is certainly not good, and the problem is most likely the sensor - if this is confirmed by the lab, they will simply replace it.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can these people get a read on my sensor remotely or are we talking about mailing them my laptop?

This kind of diagnosis must take place in a lab. They will send you a laptop shipping box, for you to send the laptop over, and return it the same way after it was properly diagnosed and repaired.

Systems that can be remotely diangnosed for enviromental sensors only exist in large servers, and is just starting to get to consumer machines.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I don't have anymore questions.

Thank you, I'm glad I could answer all your questions.

Can you please rate my service by clicking one of the faces under my answer?

I very much appreciate your patience and business!

Thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello James, I did rate your service highly. I found some tips about cleaning out the fan area. After cleaning out the fan area, it is running cooler with heavier tasks such as producing videos (before it maxed out above 80c now it only gets to just above 60c). I can also hear the fan running when the laptop is cooler. I think I have a resolution.

Thanks,

Frank