James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
24111805

I have a HP desk top with windows vista. the computer keeps

I have a HP desk top with windows vista. the computer keeps saying the cpu fan not working and shuts down. this has happened in the past and i took it apart and cleaned the dust out of the fan and it worked for a long time. now it shuts off every time i use it. by the way the fan is in fact working, usually you can't hear it but before it shuts off, the fan starts running very fast and you hear it quite well. also i have kept the dust cleaned out

Even though the fan is working, it is reporting back to the computer that it is not. It is a fairly common failure with fans.
You simply need to replace the CPU fan. They are cheap - a good, high quality CPU fan will cost around $25-$40.
Replacing the fan will solve the problem, and you can do it yourself.

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX computer sense the fan, or does the fan tell the computer that it is working?

The computer can tell if the fan is not working - the fan reports it via the connector it has to the motherboard.

Many thanks,

James.