Is there something I can install on my computer to block different

tracker site that follow me...
Is there something I can install on my computer to block different tracker site that follow me around on the web and track and collect my data and activities, search subject and result. I don't like to adds on a russian chess playing site of an hotel in Vermont I went to...
Cheers,
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/17/2013
MrBargain
MrBargain, Computer Support Specialist

MrBargain :

Hi, yes there are several things you can do in order to protect your privacy online.

Customer:

Hi, please go on

MrBargain :

What you need to know is called cookies. When you visit a site, they place a small file on your computer to track what you did and remember your details for the next visit. The problem is that advertisers also use this to display ads as you already know.

MrBargain :

Can you tell me which browser you use so I can give you specific details?

Customer:

Usualy IE, but I have trouble with it as it became suddenly infested (after leaving computer open online for many days for uploading stuff on dropbox for my cie) with tons and tons of adds so I am on safari until I work around this problem.

Customer:

What about site that tracks me even if I didn't go visit them?

MrBargain :

Ok, that's great information!

MrBargain :

it's not that these sites track you, it's more like they search your site for cookies and then display ads based on your past search results. You probably visited some site that triggered all the casino ads, nothing to worry about as far as that is concerned.

Customer:

I usualy run ccleaner to keep computer clear, but this doesn't seem to fix EI problem, and I'd liketo find way to avoid it in the first place

MrBargain :

My first suggestion is to make sure you computer is not infected. You just added that you have a cleaner installed already but it does not hurt to get a second opinion right?

MrBargain :

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php (free virus and ads scanning software that gets rid of pop-ups)

Customer:

got avast and adaware clash with it and create bugs...

MrBargain :

Option 2 is to run yet another cleaner called ADWCleaner: http://general-changelog-team.fr/fr/downloads/finish/20-outils-de-xplode/2-adwcleaner

MrBargain :

Yes, I should clarify. When running scanning software you will need to disable all the other ones in order for it to work properly. For example, you should be able to tell Avast to either shut down or sleep for a while? You will need to do that before running other scanners.

Customer:

k and how to prevent this from occuring? I know I need cookie to interact with sites...so is there an intelligent way to go about this ? What about pluggin you can install for either EI orfirefox to prevent google from gather ing data? I heard that you can also optout of data mining ?

MrBargain :

Since they are very similar tools they will conflict with each other. That is why it's important to disable them and only have one active at a time.

MrBargain :

OK, let me find a plug-in for you... be right back.

MrBargain :

Are you a Gmail user by chance?

Customer:

no

MrBargain :

Adblock plus is a plug-in for Firefox that will help https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

MrBargain :

Reason I asked is because I use a great AD block for my Gmail account and would have passed it along.

Customer:

trying this one, I play online chess and it blocks me from displaying flash tutorials and can't interact with chessboard I think it use similar thing as the adds and program puts them in same bag...Any fix on this ?

MrBargain :

You may want to consider using this: https://adblockplus.org/en/about

MrBargain :

Are these tutorials and stuff using pop-ups?

MrBargain :

If your games and tutorials use pop-ups to show the flash, you will have to tell your browser to 'always allow pop-ups' from the site so that it does not block them by mistake thinking they are in fact ADs. I know it's a bit of a pain, but once you teach it, should work every time. Problem is there is no easy way to differentiate between good pop-ups and bad pop-ups.

Customer:

I would get pop up to approuve chess move, but toturial will be like lynda.com ones its embeded in page

Customer:

For example I go on a russian website, so when I allowed pop up for that site to be able to play, the casino pop up started flooding my browser

Customer:

it doesn't do that in safari just ei and firefox

Customer:

IE not ei

MrBargain :

Here is a plug for your IE called ADblock IE http://adblock-ie.en.softonic.com/download

MrBargain :

As you can see there is no exact science to solve all the problems in one shot. Your best bet is to have a daily virus scan, do an ad-ware scan once a week.

MrBargain :

I have yet another suggestion for you. It's called AdBlock and the best part, they have a 'Pay what you want' model which is the newest way to do business online. Use the program and then you give them a small donation when it does the job it claims to do.

MrBargain :

I know I've overloaded you with lots of details and options... do you have any questions or need clarification at this point?

Customer:

ya just one, do you know or got link of google optout for not getting data mining from them?

MrBargain :

Sure, give me a minute to get the details together for you.

MrBargain :

There is no real answer that is short so let me give you a few options. There is an article that will explain well and give instructions for each browser on how to surf the web anonymously: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/how-to-tech/how-to-surf-the-web-anonymously4.htm

Customer:

ccoouulldd VVPPNn hheellp p ththaat t or or mmyy iipp wwiillll bbee hhiiddddeenn,, bbuutt II wwiillll ssttiillll ggeett ddaattaa mmiinniinngg aannyywwaayy ??

Customer:

VVPPNN

Customer:

VPN

MrBargain :

You may run into problems if you set your Google chrome privacy settings too high as you then won't be able to use some Google services. https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/39612?hl=en

MrBargain :

Ah, you know stuff about computers.

MrBargain :

I never know how geeky to get with folks but yes! https://www.anonymizer.com/

MrBargain :

If you are serious about your privacy and such and can afford a VPN, that's the way I would go personally.

Customer:

cchhaatt iiss ddoouubblliinngg mmyy lleetttteerrss ??

Customer:

ookk

MrBargain :

How strange, it's the first time I've seen that lol.

Customer:

llooll

Customer:

ccooooll ttyy

Customer:

hhaavvee aa nniiccee ddaayy

MrBargain :

No problem, if you ever need geek help again let me know. It was a pleasure speaking with you today and I hope you got enough information to help solve your problem.

Customer:

yyeess

MrBargain :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX great day as well!

MrBargain
MrBargain, Computer Support Specialist
Hi again,

Just a quick follow up to make sure that all the advice that was given few days ago was put to good use. It was refreshing to speak with someone that has an idea of how dangerous it can be online and actually doing something about it.

Have a great day!
Stefan
aka MrBargain

Hey Stephan,

I am still using Safari, Firefox and explorer and still so filled with adds of all sort that it looks like an advertizing board more than a web browser, even if they are beginning to be more and more synonym these days...

I downloaded and installed google optout patch, I wiped my computer with ccleaner, adaware, but still don't see a fix in the amount of crap in my browser.

Do you think a VPN could also help against adds or will I need a blocker?

Cheers,

Frédéric

Hi again,

For Firefox, you could install this plug-in: https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox

Internet Explorer, you could use this plug-in: http://simple-adblock.com/

That should be able to capture most of the ads, but as you know, nothing in life is perfect.

Hope that helps,
Stefan
MrBargain
MrBargain, Computer Support Specialist
MrBargain
MrBargain
MrBargain, Computer Support Specialist