My asus x401a is making a terrible racket, a whirring sound,

upon start-up and during operation...
My asus x401a is making a terrible racket, a whirring sound, upon start-up and during operation. this started a few days ago, and if I slapped it softly on the left side where the sound originated, it stopped. Now, it will not stop. Any ideas?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2013
Nathan, Systems Manager

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the asus,

Nathan :

unfortunately the symptoms you describe would point to a faulty cooling fan. It could be out of balance because of dust/debris inside, but is more likely a failing motor or a bad bearing.

Nathan :

You can try blowing out all of the cooling slots around the sides of the computer with compressed air, in an effort to clean it out.

Nathan :

If it persists after that, the fan assembly would need to be replaced.

Customer:

That doesn't sound so bad. Would it be best if I opened it up and checked the fan assy?

Nathan :

If that is a task you feel up to doing yourself, you can get the part here: http://www.notebookparts.com/asus-x401a-asus-x401a-fan-heatsink-13gn3o1am010-1/

Nathan :

You certainly can, if you are comfortable doing so. You can look at the link I just sent for a pic of the assembly, so you know what you're looking for, but it should be pretty obvious.

Customer:

Definitely. I just have to download the manual but it seems relatively straightforward. Any tips?

Nathan :

Note that if you think the unit is under any warranty still, you should not attempt any repairs yourself, as you'll void the warranty. I would be better to let them cover the repair costs at a local shop.

Customer:

Of course, it's just out of warranty (when all things break), so I'll have a look-see on my own.

Nathan :

It sounds like you have a good handle on it, it's fairly straightforward. But I would unplug power and remove the battery before going inside.

Customer:

Shall I check back with you if it seems the dfan is not the issue? Can I reach you directly from this site or is it ad-hoc and I get who I get?

Nathan :

And try to ground yourself first (touch something metal, even the screw on an outlet cover plate), so you don't introduce any static into the system and damage the mother board

Nathan :

You can respond direct to me,

Customer:

I love it when you say, "motherboard."

Customer:

lol

Nathan :

you'll get back to me direct in this same chat window,

Nathan :

just bookmark/favorite this page to get back with me.

Customer:

So, I should leave this window open...?

Customer:

got it.

Nathan :

Either way, you can close out and return, or leave it open.

Nathan :

I'm going to step out for now, but I'll get an email alert when you post back later, and return to help further, if needed.

Nathan :

The other possibility, besides the fan bearing, is that the hard drive is going bad.

Customer:

Ok...and insofar as payment, I did the deposit thing but there is a 'free trail' so what does that mean?

Customer:

The hard drive going bad would be bad news. but also do-able to replace, right?

Nathan :

Yes it is, and as long as it is working okay now, you should be able to get all of your files backed up, so they can be restored to a new disc, if needed.

Nathan :

As for the trial, the way this site works is that you can either pay individually for questions as needed (if you need this type of help infrequently), or you can sign up for a monthly subscription service. The trial would be for the subscription service, and I believe they give you the first month free, and then it would automatically renew monthly after that.

Customer:

Thank you. And the payment issue? Should I reads something or ask someone else? Not sure what the status is based on my above question.

Customer:

Ok.. got it...

Customer:

sorry for the repeat.

Customer:

I'll let you go and get back to you later if it is a different issue.

Customer:

Thanks again Nathan.

Customer:

Bye.

Nathan :

You're welcome. Good luck!

Nathan :

If you end up not needing to get back in touch, I do ask that you remember to "rate" me as well though (even if on a trial) so that I get credit from the site for my time.

Thanks,

Nathan, Systems Manager
Nathan, Systems Manager