Erik B.
Erik B., Computer Support
Experience:  MCSE, MCP
18224842

I have a computer with an ASUS P8Z77-VLX Motherboard with an

I have a computer with an ASUS P8Z77-VLX Motherboard with an I5 processor and 8GB of RAM with an Intel HD Graphic 4000 Internal graphics adapter. It has a VGA output and a DIV-D HDMI output. If I connect each monitor separately, the computer recognizes the VGA monitor or the HDMI monitor. If I connect both monitors, it recognizes that two monitors are connected but on the VGA monitor is active. I have reinstalled the driver from the installation CD but no change. If I restart the computer both monitors are active while the 'Starting Windows' is displayed then the HDMI monitor goes black and 'No Signal' flashes. The Resolution and Orientation boxes for the HDMI Monitor are greyed out. Any ideas
Hi and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

On the same screen where the resolution and orientation are listed, what does it say for your Multiple Displays option? It should be set to Extend these displays. If it isn't please change it to that. You should then be able to set the resolution and orientation of the second monitor. Let me know if that isn't the case. Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did you receive my comments?

I did not I apologize, could you resend them please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I Changed to 'Manage displays' and worked OK. I tried to change to setting to show the desktop to the opposite monitor but then only one monitor becomes active. I guess i have to do that function by switching the cables.

Yes I believe with the built in adapter the primary monitor is static (meaning it can't be changed). You can try using the actual Intel tool instead of the built in Windows tools and you may get a better result...assuming of course that you were using the Windows tool. If you weren't I would give that a try:

1. Right click the desktop and choose Screen Resolution.
  2. Make sure that Extend these displays is chosen.
  3. Highlight the monitor you want to make the main and check the Make this my main display box.
  4. Click Apply.

Hopefully that will work, if not then I would suggest swapping the cable. Thanks Reg!