My sling box turned itself off. Prior to that, I was getting

a message on my laptop...
My sling box turned itself off. Prior to that, I was getting a message on my laptop of "no or weak video". I went to your site and downloaded what I thought was an update and since then, the box is turned off.
9/24/2013
Nathan, Systems Manager

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the slingbox,

Nathan :

there are a few possible issues here. Being a new unit, it is quite possible there was a manufacturing defect and the internal power supply board has failed. This would be indicated if there are no signs of life at all from the box (no lights, etc).

Nathan :

It is also possible, if it seems to try to boot up, but never functions, that the update installed was either the incorrect version, or did not install properly, which has "bricked" the unit.

Nathan :

There honestly isn't much you can do here, as it is most likely a hardware problem.

Nathan :

You can try unplugging power to to it for at least an hour, in an effort to reset it,

Nathan :

Beyond that, if it doesn't help, your best recourse here would be to get in touch with the retailer and have them return/exchange it for a new one.

Nathan :

You could of course pursue warranty service through SlingMedia as well, but being this new, it would be much faster and easier for you to take it up with the retailer.

Customer:

I unplugged the unit and plugged it back. On my TV screen there is a message stating 'YOUR SLINGBOX IS RESTARTING"

Customer:

The tv signal is back to the TV but still no power lights indicator on the box.

Nathan :

Well you should always get signal to the tv, as it's basically a passthrough signal from your cable/satellite box

Nathan :

When you unplugged it, how long did you do it for?

Customer:

What do U recommend?

Nathan :

A quick unplug usually isn't enough to do anything, I would try unplugging for a longer period, at least an hour.

Nathan :

If the message persists after that, it's obviously getting power, but it would appear that the firmware update failed and the unit is what we call "bricked" (stuck in a state of partially installed software - which can't be fixed, and is now about as useful as a brick or a doorstop/paper weight)

Customer:

OK Thanks.

Nathan :

At that point, your best option is to return it to the store and have them swap it out for another one.

Nathan :

When you do, I would simply explain that it stopped working. I would not mention that you did the update, as they may try to pin the blame on you for installing it incorrectly.

Customer:

Gotcha!

Nathan :

If you should need any help with getting the replacement unit set up, feel free to get back in touch as well.

Nathan :

Good luck with the return, I hope the retailer will be helpful.

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a good day,

Nathan, Systems Manager
Nathan, Systems Manager