I need to reset my thinkpad x1 Carbon to factory. When I reboot

I need to reset my...
I need to reset my thinkpad x1 Carbon to factory. When I reboot and choose F11 it does nothing but start up windows. I loaded Windows 8 and want to ditch it. My laptop came with 7.
8/26/2013
John, Computer Support Specialist
John :

Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I will try my best to help you

John :

Sir can you still boot to windows 8 desktop screen?

Customer:

ok thanks.

Customer:

yes

John :

OK are chatting to me using from the thinkpad x1 Carbon?

Customer:

yes but I could change to my other computer.

John :

Not now first we need to check whether the thinkpad still have the recovery partition to re-install windows 7

John :

Can you right click on computer then click on manage

John :

see if that opens computer management window?

Customer:

no it does not

John :

Are you in the desktop screen or tiles screen of windows 8?

Customer:

desktop

John :

ok then press window key + R then type diskmgmt.msc in the run box and press enter

John :

see if that opens disk management window?

Customer:

ok. I'm there. disk mgmnt window is open

John :

now let me know the names of the volumes in the hard drive?

Customer:

Lenovo recovery Q

Customer:

System_drv

Customer:

Windows7_OS (C)

Customer:

Disk 0 Online Hybernation Partition

Customer:

That's it

John :

OK seems you have the recovery partition.when you go to all programs does it show Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools in the list ?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

I can go to it when I do a search

Customer:

It opens up My Documents foldere looking for a back up I presume.

John :

one moment

John :

can you open this chat page on the other computer so that i can try the reset option without disconnecting this chat

Customer:

yes

Customer:

whats the fastest way?

John :

Go to your email which you have registered with justanswer when you opened this question then look for a email that say's "i justanswered ...." open it then click on view answer and that will open this chat page.do not close this page on this laptop until the other one is opened

Customer:

says its loading data...please wait.

John :

please refresh that page couple of times and check it

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I am on the other computer now answering you

John :

Good

John :

now please open the following on the laptop

John :

Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools >>> Enhanced Backup and Restore. The Rescue and Recovery program opens.In the Rescue and Recovery main window, click the Launch advanced Rescue and Recovery arrow

John :

see if you can access that much and let me know

Customer:

can't seem to get to Backup and restore. When I open Thinkvantage it open a window o f"my documents"

John :

OK windows 8 might have removed the files to link that.turn off the thinkpad x1 Carbon and make sure the power adapter is connected also disconnect external hard drive if there is any

Customer:

done

John :

Now turn on the thinkpad x1 Carbon and press F11 key repeatedly when you see the Lenovo start-up screen.see if that open recovery wizard

Customer:

it displayed the choices and I chose F11. However after a ms dos screen of numbers it booted win 8

John :

it doesn't show windows 7 option or boot edit options?

Customer:

Standby I will try again

John :

Thank you sir

Customer:

no it does not

John :

I believe thinkpad x1 Carbon doesn't have a CD/DVD drive am i correct?

Customer:

Yes it does if I push enter button on startup logo

Customer:

I do have a external cd rom drive

John :

i am confused

Customer:

Boot options gave me like 5 choices on startup

Customer:

When I choose F11 as one of the options it does nothing but boot windows 8

John :

ok what are the boot options it shows?

Customer:

standby

John :

ok

Customer:

F1 Bios

Customer:

F10 diagnose hardware

Customer:

F11 Recovery

Customer:

F12 Temp start up

Customer:

Ctrl p to enter MGMT Engine

Customer:

That's it

John :

Thanks for options.The external drive you have is it DVD or CD drive can you please check it?

Customer:

Standby. DVD Burner

John :

Good.In that case what you need to do is get the Product Recovery DVD from Lenovo by calling them on this number 1-***-***-****

Customer:

ok. bummer.

Customer:

anyway to download and burn one

John :

Sorry sir no you cannot because all you can get is pirated versions and i don't recommend it.I will explain what you need to do after you get the disc

Customer:

ok. Thanks John.

John :

You are welcome one moment please

John :

you do not need to rate me now,you can do that after i have explained the process

Customer:

ok

John :

Once you have the disc insert the recovery DVD then use the F12 key to get the temp start up then choose usb DVD drive that will boot from the disc then follow the on-screen instructions to start the installation process.select advanced (custom installation) then Choose drive option then select Windows7_OS (C) then select to format that drive and select to install by clicking next.that will start the process (Note:-before you do this back-up the data you needed to a external hard drive )
May i ask why you want to remove windows 8 ?

Customer:

selling laptop and the buyer it's it all factory.

John :

you mean you are going to sell the laptop after installing windows 7

John :

OK i got it now you are going to sell the laptop on factory condition am i correct sir?

Customer:

Yes

John :

OK.can you please check what all options does it shows in F12 key

Customer:

Sure. Standby

John :

Thank you sir

Customer:

F1 Enter Bios

John :

no need to mention all of it just press F12 and let me know the options it shows in that

Customer:

ATA HDDO: San Disk SD5SG2256G1052E

John :

OK next

John :

In that options list does it show USB boot ?

Customer:

NO

John :

other than ATA HDDO: San Disk SD5SG2256G1052E what else is there?

Customer:

Nothing

John :

That is strange do you have a external hard drive with you?

Customer:

yes

John :

please connect it then restart the laptop and press F12 key repeatedly when you see the Lenovo start-up page and let me know the options it shows other than ATA HDDO: San Disk SD5SG2256G1052E

Customer:

stand by...

John :

if the usb hard drive have external power please make sure that is connected too.Thank you

Customer:

Yes it shows as an option on F12 boot

John :

you mean now it shows USB boot in the F12 boot menu

Customer:

Yes. USB HDD: Then teh name of my external USB HD

John :

OK good,Just checking whether it shows the USB option when you plug it.like this you will get the option USB DVD option when you connect and select that to install windows 7 from the disc like i mentioned above

Customer:

OK.

John :

Sorry that i couldn't do much.Is there anything else you like to know ?

Customer:

Nope. Help helped me. Thanks.

John :

You are welcome sir,If you are satisfied with my services/answer please rate positively using the options just below this chat box select the rating and click on submit that will do it. If you feel the need to rate me negatively, please stop and let me know what else you need to know so that I can help you further.Have a Great God Blessed Day

Customer:

Thanks. ***** and Keep You. Eph 6:10

John, Computer Support Specialist
John, Computer Support Specialist