all of my video files used to show a picture on the folder

and after adding some downloads...
all of my video files used to show a picture on the folder and after adding some downloads they no longer show whats in the file it's just a generic folder. Even if I add a download it doesn't show the picture like it used to.
8/25/2013
Richard, Computer Specialist
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Real Downloaded may have changed the registry for you which can cause this problem.

Can you click Start, type in Regedit and press enter

In Registry Editory, go to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp4\ShellEx

There needs to be two Keys under ShellEx in there as below

BB2E617C-0920-11D1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1

With the string value (this is in the right window)

c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590

And

e357fccd-a995-4576-b01f-234630154e96

With the string value

9DBD2C50-62AD-11D0-B806-00C04FD706EC

If they are not this value, edit them (double click) to make sure they are.

Save this, restart your computer and tell me if you now see the correct Thumbnails please
Richard, Computer Specialist

I do not find HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp4\shellEX

It will be there Bruce.

First click on the + next to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

Then go in the list under it and click the + next to

.mp4

Then click the + next to

shellEX

If you still cannot see it, let me know please

the string value seems to be the same on both

Thanks Bruce

Double check in Default Programs to make sure that your selected Media Player is set as the default program for video files, and all of it's associations set to it as well. One or more of the associations may not be set.

Go to Start, Default Programs and check and set it there to Media Player.

Let me know the results please

Thank you

yes media player is default

ok, Click Start, Computer, once that is open click on the down arrow next to Organize, which is located under the Back and Forward navigation buttons.

A drop down menu will pop up, select Folder and search options, once that is up, under the View tab, you want to uncheck the first option which reads "Always show icons, never thumbnails".

Once done, click ok, and restart the computer.

Tell me if the Thumbnails now display correctly please

when I went int reg the only shell ex was in .mp4v not .mp4 is that the correct location

No, it needs to be Mp4

under mp4 there are 3 listings
(default) Reg_SZ (value not set)

Real Player.MP4.6 Reg_SZ

WMP11.AssocFil...Reg_none (zero-length binary value)

Ok, so they are missing.

When did this problem start? as there may be an easier solution for you

O or about 8/21

ok, we will try this, it will not alter your files and is easier for you to do

Click Start, type in

System Restore

Press enter

Follow the instructions and choose a restore date when it was last working (so before 8/21)

When complete, tell me if the thumbnails are still displaying please.

Only available is on 8/23/13

ok, choose that point as this was the last major change on your computer

OK did sys restore but no effect on files

ok, it was not clear, but did you do these instructions Bruce, as you never confirmed it

this box is not checked

ok, do the following please to make sure we have removed any corruption on the computer.

Download CC Cleaner (free) from here

CC Cleaner

(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)

Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.

Once done, restart the computer

Than

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /f

Press enter.

It will complain the Volume is in use and to run on restart. Say YES and restart the computer

Than open one of the videos. Close it and tell me if its preview now appears please.

Thank you

the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n

Yes, say Y and then restart please

OK but now c cleaner has changed my homepage to chrome

It was not CC Cleaner, it was a corrupted registry, which needed to be repaired.

What was the previous home page?

And are the Thumbnails now working?

WWW.msn.com and no they don't work. Any way for you to remote access this system and fix it?????

Yes,

Go to www.joinme.com

Click START MEETING

It will download a program to your computer

Run the program by double clicking it, and it will give you a set of 9 numbers

Give me the numbers at the top of the screen (eg: 456-789-123) in your message to me here please

Thank you

926-352-487

Logged on

Fixed!
Richard, Computer Specialist