For Viet. My number pad ceases to work every time I switch

off. After switching on I...
For Viet. My number pad ceases to work every time I switch off. After switching on I try every combination I can think of. Until this last time it has at last come on, but I never have been able to establish what combination worked. And, as I say, this last time I have gone on trying till I was blue in the face and still it has not worked. Please try again to sort this out for me, else I shall throw this computer out of the window!
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/18/2013
Lindie-mod

I'm Lindie, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Lindie

Robert M., Consultant
Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your computer question.

That is usually a setting in the setup bios of the computer

When the computer starts up hit the key that it tells you to hit for setup. Usually its F2 or esc or F10 but it varies a bit by brand and model.

You can usually look through every option in there in about 5 minutes so though i am not sure exactly where it is on your computer it shouldnt be that hard to find. It will say something like numlock on at boot. and you would want the numlock on at boot.

This is a picture of where it is on my setup bios yours may be a little different in navigation but that is where it is someplace and that's why it would switch every time you reboot. It has a setting on whether the numbers lock is on or off when it boots up that takes preference over anything that you changed when you had windows up.

graphic

(To Robert M) I've not replied as I've slept being in France. I have not looked at F2 yet because on the face of it, it does not seem to have to do with my problem. My pad functions normally in the sense that when switching the number pad on and off, which should make arrow work one way and numbers show the other, the arrows do work one way - it is only the other way that the numbers don't work. I don't see how switching this round could help, but if you insist I'll try.

Well it should toggle one way or the other. And you should be able to toggle it while using the computer. From your question it seemed like it turned off when you rebooted which would be the bios settings in the computer.

If the arrow keys do work on the same keys than if they don't do anything when you toggle them its not a physical problem with the keyboard because they do work as arrows. It might be that you have the wrong keyboard driver or you have it set for the wrong country or something like that. the second thing you can check in the control panel under regional settings. I would still look in the bios though if its a laptop that shares the keys that might not work. But if there is a separate numeric pad I would definitely look at the bios thing first.

I have looked under F2 & cannot find anything corresponding to your picture of number pads on or off. Regional settings seem correct. Your colleague half-solved the problem by putting in the icon which produces a copy of the keyboard on screen joggling with which can bring out the numbers, sometimes quickly & sometimes not. But I want a real permanent solution.

what is the exact make and model of the computer ?

My picture was the way mine looked. Yours may look a lot different. Have you checked everything in there ?

There should also be a key on the keyboard itself that toggles the num lock on and off

I do not seem to have heard from any expert on this question for a long time. Will someone attend to my problem?

Relist: Other.
Robert M has not continued dealing with my problem for a long time and I want attention now.
This was the last post that i put up and i have not had any answer from you. Also the site was having some issues and nobody could answer for a bit.

My answer to this question must have gone astray.

Toshiba Satellite C 660-246.

I have checked everything.

There is indeed a key Verr Num in French which toggles the Number lock on/off. At the moment it works correctly, but when I switch off the computer the number pad is correct one way but for numbers themselves the other way it goes dead. If I switch on the keyboard on screen by clicking around for some time the numbers work.

the toggle switch on the keyboard is a pretty simple thing. If its not working than there might be a physical problem with the keyboard.

You can also try a new driver. I am at a bit of a loss here because its not an american model and not on the american website and i dont speak french so i cant do very well with the french website.

You can try going to support and downloads and try to find the correct download that would include the keyboard. It is probably part of the system drivers.

http://www.toshiba.fr/

I think I understand you to be saying that, in the case of a reasonably low-priced model as this, trying to repair it & the time involved (for the owner) it is actually simpler to throw this computer out of the window and to buy a new one.

Bear in mind that I had a very long session with a colleague of yours that did not produce a solution but only an unsatisfactory way of putting things right every time one opened the computer anew.

That being so, would you advise that my problem is not with this type of computer but just with one individual model? If I were to buy another computer exactly like this one it would be extremely unlikely that it had the same problem. Would you advise me that this is the case?

I would be perfectly happy with this advice, if this is what you think.

I think that if it is a physical problem that it is probably that particular computer rather than the brand or model. Whether it is worth fixing I don't know. If it is the keyboard they are relatively inexpensive probably under $50 and the labor to replace them should also be under $50 But that is in American and can vary greatly even here.

There is also a possibility that particular model may have some issue with the French driver or with the English driver if you are using that for some reason. So I would suggest that you

A. get an estimate of what it would cost to fix and see if that makes more sense than buying a new one.

B. If you want to purchase a new one try a different brand or model that has similar features and price. Unless you really love this one a lot better than anything comparable in which case buy another one and hope it doesn't have the same issue.

Robert M., Consultant
Robert M., Consultant