Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Hi, I have a Win 7 ultimate computer that has crashed, I

I have a Win 7 ultimate computer that has crashed, I have a backup. Can I restore to a new Win 8 computer all my programs? I know that I can restore documents, but not sure about the programs since they need to be in the registry and I don't know if there is a difference in how Win 7 and Win 8 registries.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

No it is not possible for programs sorry.

It isnt a difference in how the registries are done in Windows 8 (they are a bit different but not greatly) it is that the backup of the applications needs to restore to the same registry structure as it was backedup from.

The programs will need to be installed as you initially did on the Windows 7 computer.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience: Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
Hello. My name is Michelle and I will be assisting you today. If the computer has crashed and the utility partition is safe then you can definitely restore the computer back to its original state with all your programs and windows. let me know the brand name i will give you steps to restore it.