Shefin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

When using either the keyboard or the mouse, sometimes the

When using either the keyboard or the mouse, sometimes the computer drops out (the screen flashes from bright to dull) and if I'm typing or scrolling they stop functioning until I press the left button on the mouse and set the cursor to where I was last typing.

S H E F I N :
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.
S H E F I N :
Please let me know when you are ready.
Customer:

go ahead

S H E F I N :

Are you experiencing this issue only when typing anything?

Customer:

I'm ready

S H E F I N :

Customer:

no

S H E F I N :

When are you experiencing the issue? Even when the computer is idle?

Customer:

only when I'm either typing, or surfing the web using the scroll function of the mouse.

S H E F I N :

Are you using a Laptop and its touchpad?

Customer:

no, I'm using a desktop

S H E F I N :

May I know the make and model number of the computer?

S H E F I N :

Are you there?

S H E F I N :

Do you have another mouse to ry with your computer?

S H E F I N :

Are you there?

I apologize that the chat got disconnected. However, I can assist you further in Question and Answer mode.

The issue may happen because of the following reasons.

1. The mouse/keyboard is not good.
2. A display adapter/card issue.
3. Windows issue.

So, please let me know the following information, so that I can assist you better.

1. Make and model number of the computer. E.g. Dell Dimension 3100
2. Since when are you experiencing this issue?
3. Do you have another mouse or keyboard to try with?

Thank you.
S H E F I N
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Shefin: the make is Dell and the model is Vostro 220. The problem started 3 or 4 weeks ago, out of the blue. I don't have either another mouse or keyboard. The keyboard is a Dell L100 and the mouse is also Dell and it is a USB model.

Hi Kent,

First we will try restoring the computer to an earlier date. Please try the instructions below and let me know if the issue persists.

Click Start button, select All programs, Accessories, System tools and select System Restore. Select a date when the computer was working fine and click next. Follow the on screen instructions to complete system restore and check if the issue persists.

If you have any doubts or issues following the instructions, please let me know, I am happy to help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

If you are happy with the response or the issue gets resolved, please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!
S H E F I N
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Shefin: I just installed Windows 7 in the computer last week and was told by the company I bought it from that I needed to clean the harddrive of everything before I proceeded and I did so. Therefore there is no place where the computer is/was working fine.

The issue started since installing Windows 7?

Have you installed Windows 7, 32 bit?

Are you sure that you have installed correct version of display driver for your computer?

Also, let me know the service tag of your computer, so that I can assist you download and install the correct display driver.

Thank you.
S H E F I N
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Shefin:

I installed Windows 7, 64 bit.

The issue started before I installed the Windows 7and before I deleted Vista.

I don't know where to start looking for a service tag.

I installed everything that was on the CD supplied with Windows 7.

Hi Kent,

Please go to the link below, try downloading and installing the AMD driver.
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/vostro-220s?driverId=PPW07&osCode=W732&fileId=2731109775&languageCode=EN&categoryId=VI

If that does not work, try the following drivers too.

Nvidia : http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/vostro-220s?driverId=CPCVN&osCode=W732&fileId=2731110994&languageCode=EN&categoryId=VI

Intel : http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/vostro-220s?driverId=2K0D9&osCode=W732&fileId=2731110044&languageCode=EN&categoryId=VI

There is a compatibility issue with Windows 7, 64 bit and the computer. So, it will be difficult to get correct 64 bit drivers for Windows 7.

Please try the drivers and let me know if the issue persists.

Thank you.
S H E F I N
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Shefin: I downloaded all 3 drivers and AMD driver didn't make any difference.

Nvidiaa driver said that since my Windows 7 is for 64bit it wasn't compatible.

Intel driver wasn't compatible either.

Could you please download and run Belarc Advisor from the link below? After running, it will display the configuration of your computer on a new webpage.

Please let me know what is listed under Main Circuit Board and Display.

Please download and install Belarc advisor from the link below. Go to the link and click Download.
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Thank you.
S H E F I N
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Shefin: Main Circuit Board: Dell Inc. 0P301D A00

Serial #: ..CN7360491F01VV Bus Clock: 266Mhz BIOS: Dell Inc. 1.03 10/24/2008

Display: Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1) {display adapter} (2x)

Philips M107T [Monitor](15.2"vis.s/n BZ64742625, June 2005

Please go to the link below, download and install the driver.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22167&keyword=G45+Express+Chipset&lang=eng

After installing the driver, check if the issue persists. If yes, please let me know.

Thank you.
S H E F I N
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At the moment, it seems to be working. Although, during the times that you
and I have been conversing, it has dropped out completely and I've had to
restart the network again. I've typed for about two minutes now and it
hasn't dropped out again and that is a plus in my estimation, so, maybe
you've found the problem and hopefully fixed it.

I am very glad to hear that! If you have any issues in future, please do not hesitate to come back. We will be happy to assist you!

You can request me at http://www.pearl.com/request/shefin

Thank you.
S H E F I N