Aspire V35716849 has DVD-Super Multi DL drive removed for repair/replacement.

I tried to boot normal...
Aspire V35716849 has DVD-Super Multi DL drive removed for repair/replacement. I tried to boot normal start and it returned wanting a BIOS password XXXXX I have never entered and didn't have a clue what it was. Power disconnect and battery removed I gained access to motherboard and removed battery from motherboard for 1 hour. Reassembled and normal start entered BIOS settings from F10 to make sure the password XXXXX disabled and that boot order was 1st internal HDD, save and exit. Restart normal and DOS screen returns message: Non-system disk or disk error Insert DOS diskette and press any key....
Were am I at on this? Simple as BIOS settings or bad as corrupt Hard drive? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Fowler, KS
8/3/2013
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist

KamilAnwar :

Hi Larry - I will try to help you resolve this issue today.

KamilAnwar :

Can you confirm that it has been correctly reassembled and the drive is properly connected?

Customer:

yes I can see it now, I did not take it out. I did reseat the ram card. I will check HDD right now.

KamilAnwar :

Ok

Customer:

Toshiba HDD2J53 E. unseated inspected and reseated good.

KamilAnwar :

Ok - Now can you take a picture of the boot order in bios and send it here (you can upload it to imageshack.us) and post the link.

Customer:

help with screen shot

KamilAnwar :

I think it will be better to just type in the boot order

KamilAnwar :

What are the names of the devices you see in the boot order and what is the first boot device ?

Customer:

1. hddo : Toshiba mk5059gsxp

Customer:

2. network boot : brcm slot 0200 v15.0.11

Customer:

3. atapi cdrom

Customer:

4.usb fdd

Customer:

5. usbhdd

KamilAnwar :

Can you disable the 2, 3, 4 and the 5th?

Customer:

6. usb cdrom

KamilAnwar :

disable all except the 1st one.

KamilAnwar :

save & exit, then see if it boots up.

Customer:

what key to disable, not in tool bar

KamilAnwar :

Let's try without disabling first, please ensure that the first boot device is Toshiba.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

it is first

KamilAnwar :

So is it now booting or are you still get the same error ?

Customer:

reboot and same dos response

KamilAnwar :

Was the hard drive greyed out?

KamilAnwar :

is there any USB or anything else inserted into the laptop?

Customer:

yes white or gray

KamilAnwar :

grey

KamilAnwar :

Customer:

no, just power plug

KamilAnwar :

can you get back into bios and see what the time is set there and the region?

KamilAnwar :

if it's incorrect, please set the correct time and the region.

Customer:

time: 03:30:59 date: 08/03/2013 no region option

KamilAnwar :

is this the correct time?

Customer:

24 hour clock, yes correct time. there is a SATA Mode for the harddisk controller set to AHCI Mode, is this correct?

KamilAnwar :

Yes that seems correct

KamilAnwar :

can you try this

KamilAnwar :

after that, you should see a menu called "Diagnostics".

After opening the Diagnostics Menu - Select HDD Self-Test options.
Select Notebook Hard Drive.
Enter to continue.

The Hard Drive Self Test executes a Quick test , a Comprehensive test, and a SMART test. At the end of the test, you will know the status of the hard drive whether it is passed or failed.

Customer:

is the diagnostics menu in the setup utility screen

KamilAnwar :

yes this should be in the setup utility screen

KamilAnwar :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/608/c03479959.jpg

KamilAnwar :

like this in the link

Customer:

don't see it but why is the HDD password XXXXX

KamilAnwar :

Do you have a cellphone with which you can take a picture of the laptop, email it to yourself, download it and then upload it on http://postimage.org/

Customer:

yes you want a certain screen or just the case with screen opened up

KamilAnwar :

I need to see the setup screen on the laptop

KamilAnwar :

Are you still there?

Customer:

yes

KamilAnwar :

Great. Have you taken the picture yet?

KamilAnwar :

Can you please update me on the progress?

Customer:

wow- its to late to think that hard

KamilAnwar :

I am waiting for the picture so that i can see what options are available in order to further assist you :)

Customer:

I think it is posted and uploaded. sorry

KamilAnwar :

Can you copy the link and post it here?

KamilAnwar :

I need the link to view the image

KamilAnwar :

When you upload the image, it should give you a few links with option saying "Copy to Clipboard" (if you click that, the link will be copied) which you can paste here by press ctrl + v

KamilAnwar :

and then pressing the enter button.

Customer:

I uploaded it from my iPhone to postimage.org

KamilAnwar :

Can you email it to yourself then download it and upload it from your PC so that you can give me the link here

KamilAnwar :

without the link i will not be able to view the image.

KamilAnwar :

Can you send screenshots for Main

KamilAnwar :

and Boot both

Customer:

yes

KamilAnwar :

Thanks

KamilAnwar :

All settings are correct.

Customer:

ok, corrupt drive?

KamilAnwar :

Because the laptop doesnt provide any diagnostic utility and all settings seems to be correct - I think either the laptop has failed or there has been some problem with the reseating of the HDD (less likely).

Customer:

should I power off to remove HD

KamilAnwar :

I would advise you to power it off and keep it as it is until you get the hard disk checked by a technician (who has physical access to it).

KamilAnwar :

Is there any important data on the drive?

Customer:

not to me. a friend owed me some $ and gave me this acer that I had sold to him. he said it was working ok but the dvd drive was damaged when his child jammed something into the drive and closed the door.

KamilAnwar :

Hmm - that means he may have given it to you with the damaged drive (possibly)

Customer:

very possible. is there a way I can test the drive with another laptop or desktop. Sony Viao and HP2000. desktop isSony Viao RA828G

KamilAnwar :

You can - you will need a hard disk enclosure in which you can put the drive, connect it to your other PC by USB. The hard disk will then be detected as an external USB drive. (you should be able to view files / or format it using the disk utility). If it becomes accessible then you can reinstall the drive in to the laptop.

KamilAnwar :

You can find this on ebay (2.5" enclosure usb3)

Customer:

cool, but I think just one has a usb3 port

KamilAnwar :

You can get a USB2.0 drive enclosures, but make sure the enclosure size should be 2.5"

Customer:

sure, think I can get a replacement dvd on ebay also

KamilAnwar :

You should get it if the hard drive works, if it works (test the performance of the laptop) so that you know that you do intend to use it in the long-term otherwise it will just be an additional cost to you.

KamilAnwar :

Acers are quiet common with overheating issues especially when they are older.

KamilAnwar :

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE, otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

Customer:

are you saying I'd be better off ($ wise) just buying another laptop instead of replacement of the DVD and HDD

KamilAnwar :

Yes - The laptop doesnt seems reliable.

KamilAnwar :

We do not know the history of it, we do not know whether it is in warranty or not, any part failing will need to be purchased by you if it is not under warranty and once you start to use it, any data lost will also need to be recovered at a cost.

KamilAnwar :

so it is better to simply buy a new laptop or one that comes under manufacturers warranty so you can use it without having to worry about anything for atleast an year.

Customer:

OK Kamil I will take your advice. You have been very patient and nice to work with and I thank you very much for your experienced help. Best Regards XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXXce You will get a rating of excellent - solved the issue even though the outcome was less than desirable. good night

KamilAnwar :

Thank you for this great feedback and i thank you for speaking to me today.

KamilAnwar :

If you have any questions in future, you can ask me. :)

Customer:

Welcome