Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I am trying to find a cheaper solution on Amazon.com that does

I am trying to find a cheaper solution on Amazon.com that does the same thing as this new 3TB Time Capsule http://www.apple.com/airport-time-capsule/ -- I am looking for the same type of range and wifi speed that the new time capsule has (please check the specs on Apple's page), and then an external drive that has 3TB or more. I am assuming there is a less expensive alternative to this in two different machines (a wireless router/external HD), thank you

Michelle :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Customer:

Hello

Michelle :

you are basically looking for a similar router and an external 3tb hdd in an economical price and it can be of any make and model am i correct.

Customer:

yes I am mainly concerned about the router - this new apple router seems to have a huge range and it is supposed to be very fast

Michelle :

let me go through the configuration of the router and i will look into similar or close to range other brand router in a good price.

Michelle :

what is the make and model of the 3TB hdd

Michelle :

is it the Apple 3TB Time Capsule 4th Generation

Customer:

Yes it is the brand new one

Michelle :

you have few option in seagate for wireless hard drives.

Michelle :

Seagate is the brand which is the best and reliable other that apple.

Michelle :

Seagate STCG3000200 3TB Central Wireless Hard Drive

Customer:

that is a hard drive though and not a router, right?

Michelle :

yes that is correct its a hard drive

Michelle :

wireless hard driver with 4TB, 3TB, 2TB and 1TB options

Michelle :

here is one more router with storage 1 and 2 TB

Michelle :

its WesternDigital

Michelle :

Its a dual band N router with a wide range or wireless signal.

Customer:

that router has the same range and power as the new time capsule

Customer:

?

Michelle :

Top-of-the-line Wi-Fi performance. Fastest Dual-Band N speeds for accelerated HD streaming.

Michelle :

450X450 mbps

Michelle :

airport has not mentioned its speed strength as per WD

Customer:

can you please paste the wifi specs of the new apple time capsule in this thread so I can refer back to it later

Michelle :

sure

Michelle :

Apple specs for

Ultrafast 802.11ac Wi-Fi.
With 802.11ac technology and a powerful beamforming antenna array, AirPort Time Capsule gives you up to 3x faster Wi-Fi and a stronger, clearer signal.2 And because it transmits at both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies at the same time, your wireless devices will automatically connect to the best available band for the fastest performance possible.

Michelle :

other routers spect 802.11g gives 54mbps, 802.11n gives 450mbps and 802.11ac gives 1300mbps

Customer:

thank you - does that other router trasmit both frequencies at the same time?

Customer:

I am mostly concerned about my ipad connecting properly to my wireless apple tv

Michelle :

are you looking for a router and a harddrive combo with 802.11ac speed or you prefer router and wireless hard driver 2 different devices

Customer:

either way - I am trying to figure out if there is something better that is less expensive than the $399 time capsule

Michelle :

one thing is very clear that product like Apple is rarely found with other brands however you must have seen that Apple has the combo device with best wifi and storage together which other brand doenst have.

Customer:

So do you think there is another standalone router that is as powerful as the one in the time capsule?

Michelle :

Time capsule give 802.11ac gives 1300mbps wifi range with 3TB storage however you can get WD N900 gives 450X450mbps speed which is the 202500mbps which i would suggest will be a good choice with 2TB

Michelle :

I am sorry that would be 900mbps not 202500mbps

Customer:

ok thank you for your help

Michelle :

is there anything else i may assist sir

Michelle :

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking.

Michelle :

please provide a rating for my service.