When we turn on the computer, nothing shows on the monitor.

We thought it was the...
When we turn on the computer, nothing shows on the monitor. We thought it was the monitor at firs, but then we tried 3 different monitors and nothing shows. The computer light is on and I can hear it run when we push the start button, but the monitor shows absolutely nothing but 'no signal'
7/17/2013
Charles A. Roberts
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your question. I am very sorry you have ran into this kind of complication I do understand how frustrating this can be. If you don't mind me asking is this a desktop computer and also to verify your question you turn your computer on and nothing shows on the monitor but no signal. Do the computer lights look normal and act like they usually do? Also what is the make and the model number of the monitor please?

Thanks Charles. Its a desktop. The monitor is a Dell. But unfortunately since the computer is at my work, I can't get the model number right now. Yes, the computer lights look normal, but there is only one, which is the green light in the front when it comes on.

OK I thing I have an idea of what it might be. Usually there are a few things that can be the problem in this case. First check the cable connection make sure you have a good connection to the monitor from the computer. try a different cable. Also make sure the monitor is set for the correct input. If It has multiple inputs on the monitor usually there is a source button you can switch from VGA to DVI. It depends. The other thing it can be which is the one that can be a little scary would be a fault Graphics card. If that's the case you would need to put in a new graphics card or add one inside the machine especially if you are using a integrated graphics card. If it's integrated the only way to fix that is replacing it's motherboard if it built in.

Every monitor we tried had a different cable, so we did that. But in regards XXXXX XXXXX button for VGA and DVI, I believe the cable is hooked to the VGA in back of the computer, is this button another thing?

The button would either say source or it would say menu and you can switch between. The tuner on that lcd monitor can usually detect automatically if it has DVI and VGA both but if someone messed with it or made any adjustments it can usually be set to manual. The only thing that concerns me however you did mention that you tried several other monitors. I am more concerned about the graphics card in this case.

I see what you mean because if someone messed with it then maybe it could be that, but we did try 3 others and it didn't work either.

Let me tell you what happened prior to this. About a week and a half ago, I came in to work and my employee left me a note telling me that she had a male friend add Microsoft Word to the computer. I was very upset that someone I didnt know touch my computer and that she didn't ask me for permission. The next day or a couple of days after that, the compute started to stall a lot. The company software would take forever to boot up almost every morning. It would take me about 45 minutes to boot it up. One morning it didn't boot up at all and I had to call the tech support for the software company. I also got one warning last week that my computer had a possible virus due to something recently added on. I got upset and suspicious but I just exited the warning because I figured it was the MW and nothing else. Then, the monitor started acting funny, too. It would turn on and off. But I would jiggle the cable on back of the monitor and it would turn back on. The same thing happened the next day with the monitor, and again I would jiggle it for awhile until it stayed on. I thought that it was weird if the problem came from the tower if the jiggling was working, which made it seem like it was the monitor. Anyway, about 3 days later my employee was the first to tell me that nothing was no longer showing on the screen.

Since I was upset and coudln't help to suspect that her friend may have done something wrong, she had him come back and look at it again. He believes its the memory. He said that 75% adding more memory will solve the problem. If not, next he will test the power supply and replace cmos button battery. And if still nothing, then he said he will have to replace the mother board, which he thinks is not worth the repair. Do you feel it could be the memory because I have never heard of memory causing this type of thing. This guy has a business card, but I don't know who he is or how good he is because he did it without my permission.

Wow that sounds like a very frustrating situation. I never let anyone on my machine because a lot of people like to install there own programs or make there own modifications for there use and it can be a pain when someone makes un needed or unwanted changes. To answer that question if the graphics card is built into the motherboard it shares the system memory and uses it as video memory as well. Yes if the memory has malfunctioned it can cause it not to start and not to function. usually a way to test this is if you remove all memory cards turn the computer on and it beeps it means the memory is missing and if you put the memory back in and does nothing it usually means the memory is bad or one of the memory cards are bad if there are more that one. However if jiggling that cable allowed for it to come on it could mean there was a connection problem down at the computers end and if it was loose or the connector was loose on the card itself it could have caused a short or malfunction directly to the card. As for the power supply being bad usually you get an orange or amber power light.

What causes the memory to malfunction? And if it malfunctioned and u said that it an cause it not to start and not to function. What do u mean because the computer does start.

Many things can cause the memory to malfunction. It can be normal wear of use, over time heat, it is an electronic device you never know when something like that fail. Even static electricity or power outages or failures. Now I will say if the memory is bad yes the computer can run but not respond. For example: The check engine light in a car can be going off. The car can start and run but it won't go anywhere. Just an example. You are honestly looking at 3 possibilities. Bad connection, Memory, or graphics card.

So not adding a program like MW would make it malfunction? It's not a virus then?

No that Microsoft word would not make that malfunction. A virus I doubt it, it sounds honestly like someone was tampering with your machine it either messed up and they caused it and made something up that something happened to it and it wasn't there fault and it really was which happens all the time. Or something happened while word was being used and it was a coincidence. So no that would not cause this problem.

Yes, I believe he had something to do with it . Because my computer had no issues until almost immediately right after he touched it. Since it's a friend of my employee who allowed him to do it, she is defending him and promised me that it wasn't his fault. But I keep telling her that there is no way I can be sure of that.

I'm really sorry that happened to you. I really am, When the repair is being done I would highly advise you have someone you know do the work.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please don't leave negative feedback, Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated! You will be getting a survey on my assistance and information It would be greatly appreciated to let Superiors know how I am doing thank you and please try and have a good day.

Yes, I am going to log off now, but can I look for you again when I hear something new about the status of the computer? I don't want to start over with someone else.

You may request me at any time. I will respond not a problem.
Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech