Joshua C.
Joshua C., PC Technician
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician with over 10 years of experience.
18519760

From [email protected]: Expert in Visual Basic

From [email protected]
To: Expert in Visual Basic programming.
Question: I created and market an application called MIDUSS (see ). It was initially written in VB Pro 4 under Windows 95 and used the Run-time DLL 'MSVBVM50.DLL. Further development used VB Pro 5.0 under Windows 98 to 7. It still uses msvbvm50.DLL which now has to be distributed with the app. I would like like to change the DLL to the more recent MSVBVM60.DLL in the source code to recompile the EXE to use the more recent DLL. This might be done by the end user but I would like to distribute the Miduss.exe that uses MSVBVM60.DLL but do not know how to do this. A good solution is worth $50 to $100 to me.

Joshua C. :

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you today

Joshua C. :

The MSVBVM50.DLL is used with VB 5 projects as it is the VB 5 Runtime Library and MSVBVM60.DLL is the VB 6 Runtime Library

Joshua C. :

You need VB Pro 6 or another version of VB 6 to use the VB 6 Runtime (MSVBVM60.DLL)

Joshua C. :

There really isn't a lot of benefit to change from VB 5 to VB 6 and usually when adding VB 6 calls to a VB 5 project one would just include both runtime files.

Joshua C. :

If your looking to update the project it would be the most beneficial to change from VB5/6 to .Net

Joshua C. :

Some information about VB5 and VB6 projects and DLL runtimes can be read at:

Joshua C. :

There are automated scripts to change from VB 6 projects to .Net online

Joshua C. :

Just to clarify the answer to your question, VB 5 projects opened in VB 5 can't include the VB 6 framework

Joshua C. :

My suggestion would be to open the project in VB 6 and include both runtimes

Joshua C. :

or convert to .Net as it has more capabilities.

Customer:

Hi Josh,

Customer:

Thank you for your detailed response and explanation that MSVBVM60.DLL cannot be used with VB 5.0 code. Unfortunately my MIDUSS app. is rather large with over 60 forms each with 3 or more command routines/ However, the main problem is that the app. uses some 14 third party controls most of which are for VB 5.0 code. Most of these have been purchased and are used under license. Conversion to VB 6 is therefore not an option.

Customer:

We will therefore resort to bundling the MSVBVM50.DLL with the application. It appears that both DLLs can co-exist in the Windows 7 system and the MIDUSS app. runs quite happily as long as MSVBVM50.DLL is accessible. This may not be an elegant solution but it is important that users (particularly in Malaysia) have access to the latest version of MIDUSS whick contains code distributed by the Malaysia Dept. of Irrigation and Drainage (DID).

Customer:

I was very impressed with the detailed information provided in your reponse Josh. While it did not provide the desired solution it pointed the way to the only practical solution. I will therefore accept your response as an acceptable solution.

Customer:

Alan A. Smith

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Averad / Josh C,

As indicated by my reply above I was very satisfied with your reply and explanation. You made it clear that it is not possible to provide the type of solution that I was looking for.

I rated the service as "Good Service" as shown above.

The initial charge indicated by you was $60 which I increased to $80. This is equivalent to a Bonus. This sum was deposited with JustAnswer and presumably has been or will be transferred to you.

I was confused by communications I received from JustAnswer that referred to 'Averad' since I had been responding with 'JoshC'. This may have caused some confusion with JustAnswer.

When I submitted the question the default Points Value of 500 was entered by the system. I asked JustAnswer for guidance on how to change this but got no guidance on this from JustAnswer. If 500 is too low for a 'satisfied' response I apologize.