System has crashed. Cant get booted up and cant get into

System has crashed. Can't get...
System has crashed. Can't get booted up and can't get into safe mode. On trying to boot, a white bar graph appears at the foot of the screen, and gets a quarter of the way across the screen and stops. Have tried to repair the OS with the installation disc, and it freezes at the selection of what system I want to log on to. Couldn't use auto repair console as I have no ASR floppy and don't know how to go about creating one. Problem cause could be due to restore program I was running from back up. Was ,I thought, careful not to include any conflicting settings during the restore, just documents and music and pictures. Apparently something got thru because system deteriorated two or three days after and system slowed way down before it went down. Complications may have been cause by cleaning up the start up menu, when I took DOS prompt out of the start up menu.
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/2/2013
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
What version of windows is this?
What happens when you try safe mode?
.

I'm running win XP pro. And I was trying to get in to safe mode w/networking and it goes to it but it just stops and a white bar graph appears at the bottom of the screen and starts to progress like a download until it gets to about a quarter of the way across and just stops. I've waited a few minutes but it never progresses any further than that.

.
Please try normal safe mode, do not use it with networking and see if the same thing happens.
.

Okay. I'll have to reset it up as the only other system I have to work with is this system, and old Dell Dim 4600. And the room I'm working out of lacks space to have both set up at the same time, plus they share the same monitor.

.
Take all the time you need.
.

Still the same. Tried safe mode, and safe mode with DOS prompt also. Did get an error message though. Windows can't start, missing .dll for kernal.

.
Unfortunately that means either your windows installation is corrupt and needs to be reinstalled or the hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced. If you do not have a windows xp disc you will need a technician to do this as you will not be able to without the disc. If you do have a disc however follow these steps.

First insert the windows XP disc into the drive
Then when the machine says press any key to boot from CD press enter
Wait for the windows setup to load completely
Then highlight the windows XP partition it should be labeled windows XP
Then hit R on the keyboard
This will start a repair installation of windows

If the windows disc cannot find the hard drive or the repair does not completely unfortunately it means that the hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced.

If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.

.

I have the installation disc and tried to repair the OS. The harddrive doesn't have a partition. I used the whole harddrive, and probably should have . When it came up to the proper screen, I pressed R to repair it. It then went to a screen where it wanted to know what which operating system it I want to log into. It listed !. Windows XP . I entered 1 and hit enter and it just stopped right there.

.
The OS installation disc is a recovery disc that will not work. It needs to be an original windows xp disc. Also even if you used the whole drive it is still a partition, it is just a partition that takes up the entire drive. Unfortunately if it stopped right there after pressing repair it means either windows needs to be reinstalled from scratch or the hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
.

The disc is the original disc the came with the computer from Dell, back when they use to send them out. What is this ASR floppy they mention when you go into repair. It says the automation recovery console can repair the os and then they instruct me to insert the floppy into the floppy drive.

.
The discs manufacturers send with the machine are recovery discs as I have said before that will not work for this unless you want to completely erase everything on the machine. As for the ASR that is something for older computers before 2002 and it had the same files as the CD on it. It is an Automated System Recovery disc which is the same thing as pressing R during the start up with an original xp disc (a recovery disc will not work).

Since you only have the recovery disc you only have two options. The first is to completely reinstall windows from scratch, the second is to bring it to a technician. The reason for this is that it is normally cheaper to have a technician do it than it is to buy a genuine copy of windows. I understand this is not what you want to hear but I am not here to tell you what you want to hear. I can only give you honest and accurate information doing anything else would be unprofessional of me and unfair to you.

If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know.

If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.

.
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Freddy M.
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist