I am trying to open an FTP site in Windows explorer, and the

links do not open....
I am trying to open an FTP site in Windows explorer, and the links do not open.
6/12/2013
Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Hi my name isXXXXX would like to assist you with your question. I am an expert here on JustAnswer.com in the computer field.

How are you doing today?

Windows Explorer has a ton of issues trying to open FTP sites.

The best option is to use a free program to avoid any issues. It's called FileZilla.

What you want to do is click this link

http://tinyurl.com/jeremyfilezilla

A download will begin after a few seconds, when it does choose Run on the file

Follow the prompts to complete the install. Once installed you can open FileZilla by clicking Start, Programs, Filezilla.

Once FileZilla opens

In the Host Box of Filezilla that is where you want to type the ftp address.

i.e. ftp.ftp.com. If it has a user name or password XXXXX the ftp type it in the username/password XXXXX

If there is no password XXXXX username/password XXXXX

Then press QuickConnect

That's it :)

If you run into any issues i'll be standing by to help you in any way I can

If you have a moment don't forget to rate my help below (an excellent service rating is most appreciated) Laughing

Also if you need any computer help in the future, you can return to this chat anytime day or night (I am online from 9am est until at least 11pm est every day of the week)

Thanks again for all you patience

Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Repairer

Thank you! I'll try it.

Joan

No problem Joan. Standing by for you in case you need further help Smile

Hi Jeremy,

OK! I see the folders in FZ. Are they now in my computer? How do I copy them to the desktop?

Joan

Oh awesome Joan!

On the right hand side you should see the files on the ftp server.

On the left hand side it will be your local files

See where it says Local Site: on the left. Right below there you can navigate to the folder where you want the files saved to. Once you are in that folder. Click and hold the file(s) on the right hand side and drag them to the left hand side. It will download them :)

If you have any trouble I can remote in and help you also.

Thank you, Jeremy. Can I send you a picture of what I'm seeing since I don't see local files on the left?

Sure if you know how to attach a screenshot that would work too. I'll edit the screenshot and highlight the local section

I did a print screen, but I don't know how to get it to you. I can paste it into a graphics program and create a file, but I still don't know how to attach it here.

Once you save the file in the graphics program come back here and click the paper clip icon to browse for the image and upload it here :)

You can also upload it to

http://www.wikisend.com

Send me the download url on wikisend when uploaded :)

I'm getting a message "access denied" when I try to send the reply with pasted image.

Our site is funny sometimes about file attachments. Try using the wikisend link above. upload it there and send me the download url in a reply :)

Hi Jeremy, I'm getting an error has occurred message when using Wiki. Tried it 4-5 times. Any other options?

Sure is

http://imgur.com/

Click the computer button on the right. Navigate to the image then press upload. Send me the image url link

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/JoanUSA/media/Temporary/ScreenshotFZ.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I tried uploading to Photobucket. If it doesn't open, I'll use your link, OK?

Ah got it thanks Joan!

graphic

You can click the image above to make it easier to read.

In step 1 above you want to double click C: (OS)

It should then show you all your folders on C:

Double Click the Users Folder

Double Click Your User Name

You can then choose The Documents Folder if you wish to save it there (double click the Documents folder)

In step two you can click and drag those folders I.e. the baby one over to the left hand panel where i have the arrow at. It will save it to the documents folder of your computer once you have done so.

Let me know if that does the trick Laughing

Thanks, Jeremy. I think I'm getting there. Just trying to save the files to a new folder which I created in the My Documents folder, called Bliss FTP New Website, but I'm not seeing it on the list (although I see it in My Documents).

One moment, I think I disconnected from the server, and I do see the folder.

You may want to click the down arrow next to quick connect, select and click the ftp to reconnect then.

You may need to press f5 for it to refresh the window in FileZilla but it should be downloading okay (it doesnt automatically update the left window after downloading)

. If you want to download them all

Click a folder on the right one time to make it blue (highlight) (the baby folder will work)

Hold the CTRL key down. while holding ctrl press a

This will highlight every file/folder on the ftp.

Once they are all highlighted click and drag them over to the left to save under my documents.
Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Repairer

OK, thanks again. It's still transferring the Baby file, the first one, so I guess it will take a while. Will the files be saved as images which will open to my default graphics program?

If they are images it sure will. It will allow you to double click or right click the image and choose "open with" if you prefer to change the default graphics editor. but the computer will treat them as a standard image as if it was created on your computer Laughing

Great! I guess it's going to take a long time, so I'll just leave you the best feedback now, and if I run into problems, I hope to be able to call on you again.

Jeremy, one last question: I'll need to send these in the form of a zip file over the internet. How would I be able to do that? If this is a separate question, and you can answer it, I'll repost so you will receive payment for it.

You can always ask secondary questions on here and i'll take care of you.

What I would do is navigate to the folder on your computer.

Once you can see all the files on your screen hold the CTRL key and press a so it highlights every folder / every file.

Use your mouse to Right Click the highlighted files and choose Send To then click Compressed (zipped) Folder

graphic

It will then be blinking for you to name the zip folder to or you can keep it named as what it has pre-chosen for you.

You can send it in a few ways

Wikisend usually works great. I would give that another shot. It may not have liked the file since it was a jpg (image) but wikisend works awesome for zips

http://www.wikisend.com

Or you can send it in your email. Usually when you have a blank new email message to write to someone, most email programs / online email accounts have an attach button that usually resembles a paperclip.

Click the paperclip, navigate to the folder where the zip is saved (which should be where the files are) and double click the zip to attach.

If you chose to use Wikisend simply email or tell the recepient the download Url the wikisend gives you.

If you get stuck on anything I am still here to help in any way I can Joan

Jeremy

Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Repairer

OK! When it compresses the files to a zip, does it also keep the unzipped photos intact? And since I use AOL, would I have to worry that the zip file is too big to send?

It may be a little big. I think AOL allows 25 or so mb's The photos will remain intact. If AOL gives you any trouble please let me know and I will find you an alternate place to share it.

OK. I have no idea what the file size zipped would be.

http://www.cliffpaulick.com/2010/solutions-for-email-attachment-limitations/

I found this link. Is this something like what you have in mind if the zip size is to big?

No I was thinking about using dropbox. It's a free service, it may be a hassle trying to make a new email account.

It looks like this file is going to be around 575 MB unzipped. I don't know what if it will zip to under 25 MB. I'll wait and see when it's finished downloading. Thanks, again.

No problem, I dont think a 500 or so mb zip will work through email but dropbox should work

Jeremy, if you're still there, I finished downloading 580 MB file. I'm at the step where I need to compress the files, and following your instructions, would I have to open each folder or can I select all the folders and do it all at once? It doesn't let me open more than one folder at a time, so I wasn't able to follow your instructions exactly. Would it work if I just highlighted all the folders and zipped them at the same time?

You want to navigate to the folder where the folders are. You could actually right click the Bliss FTP New Website folder you made with the subfolders and do the Send To then Compressed (zipped) folder and in the documents folder it will make the zip :)

Done! Thanks! I now have to look into Dropbox, as you suggested, since the file is 512 MB (before it was 580 MB, so I don't know why it is showing smaller size now).

Thats what a zip does. combine files into one and shrink them as best as possible

https://www.dropbox.com/

Try to sign up here and see if it lets you attach the file. It may take quite some time as 500 mb is quite a huge data file.

Done! I downloaded Dropbox. I don't know if I am doing this right, but I'm extracting the files into Dropbox. Is that right?

You want to login to drop box on this page

https://www.dropbox.com/home

Once you are logged in locate the piece of paper

graphicNNavigate and double click on the zip file

This will upload the file to drop box. Once it's uploaded hove your mouse over the zip on the drop box page and click the chain link button. this will give you the link to share with friends/etc.
Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Repairer

Jeremy, I'm seeing a different interface on Dropbox. It seems I successfully copied the file to Dropbox as I am seeing it in the path: joan - dropbox - photos. Nothing happens when I hover over it, but I see a share with link for "specific people" which I tried by typing in my own email address, but it says "windows was unable to find [email protected].

Can you send me a screen shot of that "share link for specific people"? What happens whe you right click it. does it offer a copy option? If so try pasting it to see if it reveals the link

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/JoanUSA/media/Temporary/ScreenshotDropbox.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

There is a copy option but I think it is just part of windows and not the program. Nothing happens when I click it.

Thats for sharing locally between computers in your home, actually thats not part of Microsoft.

What I would do try to upload it manually on this page

https://www.dropbox.com/home

What options does it give you on here?
Actually here is another way you can do it Joan.

Right Click the zip file you made and choose Send to then Drop box

Now click the dropbox icon that is running in the task bar. It should show the zip file here. move your mouse over it and choose Share Link

graphic

OK, sorry I took so long. I deleted everything in Dropbox and started over. I sent the zip filer there and see it. Now I need to send it to an email address.

Awesome! sounds like its almost there hehe

I'm not see my last message to you, so I'm resending it. It looks like I may be viewing not Dropbox but a folder in my computer since I see nothing that looks like the image you attached. Do you think you can take control of my computer and see for yourself?

Sure of course :)

https://secure.join.me/Download.aspx?webdownload=true

Click the above link, A download should begin. If it asks at the bottom if you want to run or save choose Run

This will open the Join.me Application. When it open a 9 digit number will be at the top (should look similar to this format(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Reply to me with the 9 digit number at the top

Thanks. In the meanwhile, I used the email link to Dropbox and tried that way, and it said "File too Large". It is 512 MB.

Is there a limit or maximum to how big my files can be?

« Back to Help Center

Files uploaded to Dropbox via the desktop application or mobile apps have no file size limit.

Files uploaded through the website (by pressing the upload button) have a 300 MB cap. In other words, each file you upload through the website must be 300 MB or less.

All files uploaded to your Dropbox must be smaller than the size of your Dropbox account's storage quota. For example, if your account has a storage quota of 2 GB, you can upload one 2 GB file or many files that all add up to 2 GB. If you are over your storage quota, Dropbox will stop syncing until you are below your limit.

Thanks for all your help. I don't see you here, so I'll ask the continue by asking the related question you were so kind to help me with on justanswer.com. I've already sent excellent feedback.

Joan

No problem at all sorry keep losing Internet. I tried to connect on join.me but it shows an invalid code.
Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Repairer