Yesterday my google account was hacked into and the hacker,

using my EMail, attempted to...
Yesterday my google account was hacked into and the hacker, using my EMail, attempted to withdraw funds from an account at TD Ameritrade. Fortunately my investment adviser quickly recognized the fraud and stopped the effort. Upon advice from TD security representatives I am interested in putting in place enhanced security measures, such as:
(1) added passwords, phone calls to me (the subscriber) and/or security questions blocks whenever an attempt is made to gain access to my account.
(2) Setting up additional accounts/addresses with totally different names and passwords for a handful of different subject matters (tax, credit cards, investments).
I would be eager to discuss live. BUT if not possible, well, then let us communicate over the web as I am doing.
5/24/2013
Ansh P.
Ansh P., Computer Systems Analyst

Tech Specialist :

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer.com I am Tech Specialist and today, I will be trying my best to solve your issue.

Tech Specialist :

Have you enabled the 2-way verification on your Google account?

Tech Specialist :

2-Step*

Tech Specialist :

2-Step verification - when someone tries to access your account, a code will be sent to your phone and without the code, no one can get access to your google account

Customer:

Not sure whether you are still thinking and responding. I have some questions on the 2 Step verification. And I am interested in the setting up of parallel accounts (different user names/passwords) which I do not believe the above addresses. Plus any other ideas I am overlooking and which you have had experience with.

Tech Specialist :

For securing any number of google accounts, you can set this 2 step verification.

Tech Specialist :

I was waiting for your response

Tech Specialist :

If you have any specific questions, please ask

Customer:

OK. The two step verification: Suppose a stranger attempts to sign on from another computer. A code is sent/transmitted to (presumably) 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX. Great so far; the imposter cannot gain access without hearing the code. BUT what if I am at a distant computer (like a hotel business center) and I want access. How do I learn the code and get access? Is a message left on my answering machine?

Tech Specialist :

You will get the code via sms

Tech Specialist :

The code can be also send via a voice call

Tech Specialist :

or google mobile app

Customer:

I do indeed wish to set up separate google accounts for my more sensitive areas - tax, investments, credit cards and real estate investments - 4 accounts. I gather I just go ahead and do it. BUT is there an easy way to transfer files to the new accounts i.e. files that exist now on my main google account (the one that was hacked into)?

Customer:

What is "sms"? What is "google mobile app"?

Tech Specialist :

there are different ways you can transfer the existing mails/contacts etc

Tech Specialist :

SMS is the short message service i.e. regular messaging service in your phone

Tech Specialist :

Google mobile app is the application for andriod phones, iphones

Tech Specialist :

When you are in your email, never open suspicious looking attachments like exe, vbs files

Tech Specialist :

or click on links directly from your email

Tech Specialist :

most common way of getting hacked

Tech Specialist :

The mails looks very genuine but with a little examination it can be told that it's a spam mail

Tech Specialist :

Let me know if any further questions

Customer:

OK - different ways to transfer. I am ready to start the ball rolling. BUT how do I mechanically do it - I need a step by step set of instructions. If not, what I would do is send to a new account, then delete from the old/the existing. That sounds simple enough and I really think I could do it. By the way, my materials to transfer are pretty well organized already, at least 90% of the materials.

Customer:

Frankly, I am not sure what an "exe" or "vbs" file looks like. Click on a link from my EMail? All this sounds quite foreign - never had any example of any.

Tech Specialist :

it looks like a normal file with exe or vbs extension

Customer:

Two last questions I think:

Tech Specialist :

Sure

Customer:

(1) If I want to go forward and put the 2 step verification/code process in place, what do I do next to actually get it done. AND if I want to set up different accounts for tax etc and transfer files to the new accounts, are there any specifics as to mechanics of doing that that I need to know before we hang up.

Customer:

(2) Do you have the ability to tell me exactly how it was possible for the hacker to get in?

Tech Specialist :

I will answer the second question first.

Tech Specialist :

Actually, as I told already, it's difficult to trace what method did they used to hack into your account

Tech Specialist :

but I have never got hacked in my life only because i never click on links from my mail

Tech Specialist :

or open attachments from suspicious looking mails

Tech Specialist :

For example, once I received a mail saying I got a delivery from UPS and i need to open an attachment to get details about the courier

Tech Specialist :

When I checked the attachment, it was a executable .exe file - definite fraud

Tech Specialist :

or sometimes I get mails saying I won a lottery of $1000000 and click on a link to give my details for claiming

Tech Specialist :

too good to believe - definite fraud

Tech Specialist :

First question:

Tech Specialist :

You don't have to do anything specific

Tech Specialist :

Open 4 accounts > Setup 2-step verification in each of them separately

Tech Specialist :

Transfer the data from old to new account as required.

Tech Specialist :

Now, how you want the old data to be structured and what all data would you like to transfer, that depends on your requirements and can be done in multiple ways

Tech Specialist :

Any questions?

Tech Specialist :

If you want to know how to enable 2 step verification, pls let me know

Customer:

Well, I think we leave it there. I cannot wait to run across my first so called .exe file or whatever it looks like. I probably have before BUT never ever had even the vaguest notion that what it was was diabolical. I'll try best I can. Thank you for your assistance today and have a nice evening.

Tech Specialist :

Glad to help :)

Tech Specialist :

Kindly rate me below if you do not have further questions.

Tech Specialist :

If you have any, will be happy to answer.

Ansh P.
Ansh P., Computer Systems Analyst

I have established a new gmail account to receive all/old EMails relating to taxes. I am reasonably confident that the new account has been successfully established. Next, I turned to the task of transferring all/old EMails relating to taxes to the new account. I think I successfully handled step #1 in the sequence of steps - that step entailed, reducing it to simplest terms, confirming that the new account was going to be receiving EMails from the old account, which has been for years my main GMail account and I intend it to continue as such - my main GMail account.

NOW, the fun begins - next step. Transfer all EMails from my file (set up by me and in which I placed all EMails pertaining to the name on the file - 2007 Tax) to the brand new GMail account. I went to the gear icon, from there to settings, from there (best I can recall) to forwarding and something like POP/Image (can't remember) from there to the first item called Forwarding. There I found that forwarding was "disabled". I clicked the next box, entered the name of the brand new tax account, indicated that once a EMail had been forwarded to the new tax gmail account, then the EMail could be deleted and then clicked "Save Changes" (why "saved" is beyond me). Then horrors - up pops a box seeming (I say "seeming" because I just cannot be sure any more) to say that all EMails that come in from here forward (whether they deal with tax or any other subject under the sun) will go to the new tax account. That is not what I want at all. And I cannot possibly figure out how I can reverse it. Yes, I looked into filters BUT that looks like a hopelessly difficult route to solve my issue.

If I could just untangle the seeming computer directive to my old/main gmail account which seems to be saying to every EMail that comes in - go to the new tax EMail account, then I guess that the only way I can get about 1,000 EMails dealiong with tax sent to the new tax oriented GMail account is to go one by one, EMail by EMail and forward each to the new account.

Yes, I am frustrated, particularly as I knew I was going to get ensnarled and tried to get it answered yesterday, but was (frankly) deflected.

OK. I was awaiting an answer and, not having received any indication that someone was addressing it, I went back and fixed the first issue; namely I reset the settings so that the forwarding "thingy" is now reset back on disabled and I tested it to discover that EMails sent to my old mail GMail account are now going to my old main GMail account. That's a good step forward.

Now I am going to start the tedious task of finding every damn EMail dealing with tax (i.e. every damn EMail in my main/old GMail account) and forward each, one by one, to the new tax account. Unless, of course, there is an easier way.

One question, are the tax mails organized with label now? If yes, they can be transferred at a stretch.

The word "label" is issue #1. Every EMail has either a "title" (which I think might be different from a label) or may arrive at my inbox with the title "untitled". Every title is different. For example, one might say "Stuart, here's your Power of Attorney", another might say "2010 Federal and State Tax Returns". And so on and so forth - ad nauseum. Now lets take a subset of all these EMails as an example. Lets take all the EMails dealing with calendar year 2010 taxes. They are all in a file called, get this, 2010 Taxes. That file is one of maybe 75 files listed way over on the left hand side of my monitor. So when one asks - organized with "label now"? I say - once again this is a question that is begging for ambiguity. I am not sure whether my answer should be "yes" or "no". And then we get to the word "stretch" - I can sort of envision what is trying to be communicated, but am I 100% sure? Nope. This is one of the reasons why communicating in this method - via EMail - just becomes unnerving.

Now, just so you know. I have gone EMail by EMail through every single cotton picking tax file and moved every single one over to my new EMail account. Then I reorganized every bloody one by year. That's where I left it; next I go to my tax people and wire them in on what has happened and what they should do from here forward. I am going to start the same process with investment files. I am then going to do the same thing with credit card files. Then, onto real estate. And finally I am going to segregate one or two others which are "sensitive" in nature (those are not a big deal - not too tedious).

Exhausting AND in the end I am not sure whether I am foiling the sinister intentions of the bloody hacker who started all this. He/she may already have copies of everything. God, what a world.

Stuart, I thought of helping you earlier using remote desktop but avoided it because I knew our conversation involves sensitive data and I should not remote into your PC. Even if I am a very nice person but we just met over internet, so that's kind of risky from your side.

The most easy way to transfer mails over gmail accounts is this:
Setup gmail accounts as IMAP in some email client like Windows Live Mail, Outlook etc
When you do this, you just have to copy/paste or drag/drop the folders/emails selected at once from one email to another on the left side of the email client.

Hackers can be anywhere. Internet is like a virtual world with some thieves hungry for sensitive data of others which they can acquire to misuse it for their profit or to damage any individual. You have to make sure that you are safe specially when dealing with sensitive and business data over internet. If you need some tips on this, feel free to ask.

Thank you.
Ansh P.
Ansh P.
Ansh P., Computer Systems Analyst