Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  25 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

My tablet is stuck on android logo. What should I do?

Hello, my Acer Tablet a500 is stuck on the Acer/Android logo and won't go to the next screen. It has been like this for about 4 days now. I just came back from a trip and have many of pictures/videos on there that I DO NOT want to lose. Is there any way I can fix this? Or most importantly is there any way I can retrieve my pictures and videos from the tablet? (Also, unfortunately, I'm not very "technical" savvy). Thank you.

MichaelHannigan :

You will only erase the data with a factory reset (provided the data is currently in tact). So we won't do that.

But what you can do is a soft reset if you haven't already.

To do that, disconnect it from your computer and power and hold down only the power button.

It should give you the option on the screen to "restart", but if it's locked up, it might not give you that.

But if it shuts off completely, that should be sufficient.

Then let it start back up (or power it on by pressing the power button once).

If that doesn't work, you would normally have to do a hard reset to get it to boot back up, but since that would erase your data, if the soft reset doesn't solve the problem, let me know and we will explore other safe options.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry. I'm still here. My computer just froze on me. I wasn't able to type. Just one moment. I'm going to read what you wrote and respond in a moment. Thank you for your patience.

It's OK, Toya. Take your time. I will be here for quite a while still.

You don't have a lot of luck with these computers, do you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No lol... I have the worst luck with computers.. So i'm going to try what you said now but please don't go anywhere. I'll have questions in just a moment, i'm sure of it.

Ok. I'm standing by. I will be here for another three hours or so. No rush.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I believe it's locked up, I did not see an option to "restart". I also tried to power it on by just pressing the power button once but this did not work. What other otions do I have available?

Is the screen currently on or off? Try holding the power button for 10 seconds to make sure it shuts off completely.

Normally the next step would be to do a hard reset which involves holding the volume up while powering on, however that will erase your data.

So, although it's not the way we would normally proceed, you can try removing and re-inserting the battery. That will force it to restart. This is a little more involved than the reset becuase the battery isn't something regularly replaced on the A500. But I am going to give you a link to a video of how to do it. The video shows how to replace the battery, but if you are getting power to the screen, you shouldn't have to actually replace it - just unplug it and plug it back in.
A500 Battery Removal

If it is completely dead and nothing is on the screen, then it is possible that the battery needs to be replaced. Your data does not depend on the battery being connected to remain in the device. I'm still hoping that what you have on there is OK and can be recovered if you can just get it started without the full reset.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A couple of days ago, I opened the tablet and unplugged the battery and the replugged it. I then turned the tablet it on and it still went to the acer, then android screen and stay on the android screen. Do you think it would be a good idea to try disconnecting and reconnecting thew battery again?

I would try it again to see if you get the same behavior.

Is it possible that your pictures are stored on an SD card that could be removed and read on a computer? If so, then that would be an option where you can do the hard reset and still save your data.

Another possibility is that if you had your pictures and videos syncing automatically with an online service, like through your google account, they may be available there. I'm just trying to think of all possible options.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I'll try doing the battery thing now. How would I know if my tablet has a SD card? Where can I find it? Also the syncing possibility, would that have been something I would have had to set up prior to all this happening or does it automatically sync to my google acount?

Here is a picture of where the SD card would be:
graphic

If you have photos set to auto-upload, you can find them either under Google+:
Google+ Instant Upload
or Picasa
Picasa

It wouldn't be something that you would necessarily have set up consciously. I know that I didn't. I was surprised when I realized all my photos were on google! It's worth checking.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I unplugged the battery, i'll put it back together now and I'm going to check those sites right now. Thanks!.. Once I plug the battery back up, what do you think I should do next?

Well, I'm hoping that once you do that, you'll be able to just start it up and everything will be OK. Unplugging the battery is basically forcing it to restart. Also, I'd like to use that to determine if it's still trying to power up or if the battery is causing the problem (if it doesn't try to start up)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I replugged the battery and its doing the same thing. It goes to the android screen and stays there. It won't go to my home page. I tried those websites, unfortunately my pictures weren't on either site :( Do you think there is anything things else I can do? I really apreciate all of your other options, youv'e been very informative.

Did you check for the SD Card?

Unfortunately, that covers all of the non-destructive options. At this point there are two things you can do - you could send it to a data recovery company who can recover data even if it won't start up. Or you can do a factory reset which should get it running, but would erase everything in the process. Once you do a factory reset, having the data recovered is no longer an option Undecided.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Awww man! I forgot to check for the SD card. What does it look like? I'll open it again. And do you know of any reputable data recovery companys that I may be able to bring or send my tablet to? I really, really wants those pics(I went to St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, Bahamas, and Grand Turk! :) ) Important memories...

graphic

Here are a couple of services that I know to be reputable:
Iron Mountain
DataRecovery.net

It's generally something you have to send away for. I wouldn't trust it to a local company that doesn't specialize in data recovery.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much for all of your help! I'll call them now. Have a great day!

Thank you!