Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.
46034742

One of my new utilities reported only 1 gig of RAM. I had Crucial.com

One of my new utilities reported only 1 gig of RAM. I had Crucial.com do a scan and they confirmed I had 1G installed and one empty slot. I ordered a 1G stick but when I opened things up I found 2 1G sticks installed. In troubleshooting I found with a 1G stick installed the Crucial scan reported 512Meg of RAM. With the original 2x1G installed it still only saw 1G installed. When I asked Crucial about this they said to update the Bios. I went to Phoenix and they sent me to BiosPlus. They said the installed Bios is the most recent. (LTD 6.00 PG). I went to the mother board manufacturer and their reply was: "Based on the serial number you have provided, this motherboard is an 945GCT-M3 version 3.1. Unfortunately, this is an OEM model manufactured for Gateway Systems.
I am sorry but we do not support any OEM motherboards. All support is provided by the OEM system builder."

Who do I go to get this fixed?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Hello and thank you for using justanswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. Smile I am very sorry you are having tis kind of complication. Cry So, if I have tis correct one of your memory cards is reading out 512 instead of 1 GB have you swapped even the new memory card and tried it in each slot and each time does it read 1 GB or does it read 512 every time in one of the slots?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I removed the old memory cards and installed a new 1G card and had Crucial rescan my system. They reported 512 meg of memory. I then reinstalled the original 2 1G cardsn rescanned and Crucial reported 1g of RAm with one slot empty. I only tried the new card in 1 slot. But again, with both slots filled with a gig of memory, the Crucial scan reported only 1 gig on board.

I see, yes this is a motherboard problem. I just wanted to verify the steps they took. I'm sorry. You can actually buy a replacement motherboard. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=945GCT-M3&_sacat=0&_from=R40

You can also have it ordered directly from gateway. The only other thing you would need to do if you don't think you can replace the motherboard would in fact to have it taken to a local computer repair shop sometimes and this really depends. Sometimes they can repair also re flow the motherboard. It's usually cheaper to just replace it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can replace the board as long as you are certain that's the problem.

This is what I would do first. Have all of your memory cards taken in to be tested. You can take them usually to bestbuy or any local computer repair shop and they can also do a free test to make sure the memory is malfunctioning or one of them are. Then if one of them fail you would just need to replace it. If they all check out to be good then yes it would be a motherboard malfunction. That is what I would do.Smile
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks

You are very welcome, If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please click on the smiley face if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you. Clicking the smiley face does not add additional costs and only by you choosing the smiley face am I compensated. Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it! Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!