Jason Jones, Computer Expert
Experience:  Over 10 years of professional experience.
30759776

Trying to connect my Samsung blu ray player to a dedicated

Customer Question

Trying to connect my Samsung blu ray player to a dedicated proxy IP address. Have a spare netgear router. Main modem/hub is Uverse 2Wire. I can get the blu ray player to connect to either the uverse or netgear router, but I want it to access the internet through the proxy IP. thoughts?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 4 years ago.

Jason :

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

I just want to be sure we are on the same page here. May I ask for you to clarify that you do wish to setup a proxy type setup for your player?

Is any other device setup that way on your network?

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

i can change my laptop or my tablet to work off the proxy server under the LAN setting in the browers

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

but i cannot seem to get the tv or bluray player to use that proxy IP once they have connected through the router

Jason :

Thank you for the update.

Jason :

Were you able to enter the Proxy information into the player itself?

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

the available set boxes are: MAC Address/IP Address/Subnet Mask/Gateway/DNS server

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

i thought it would be as easy as changing the IP address, but that appears to be the IP address for the device itself

Jason :

ok

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

any thoughts about where to put the proxy IP ?

Jason :

Well..

Jason :

I do have thoughts, but the fact is that you won't be able to set it up this way with a proxy setup.

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

i can set my proxy ip server to accept traffic from the device IP, but how do i get the gateway/modem to direct the device to that IP?

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

can i use the spare router i have to make this work?

Jason :

Please, elaborate on how you wish this to work.

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

i want the TV and blu ray to access their internet from the proxy server IP. I don't mind having them use the spare router dedicated to that proxy IP, but it all needs to still flow through the UVerse modem/gateway

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

make sense?

Jason :

No, that does not make sense to me, yet.

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

my home IP address is XX.XX.XX.X, i need my tv and blu ray to show have an IP address of ZZ.ZZ.ZZ.Z in order to fully function

Jason :

Oh...

Jason :

Do you have a server setup on your network at all?

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

my own server? no.

Jason :

ok

Jason :

If you did, it would make this a whole lot easier.

Jason :

Simply put, the hardware that you have may not allow for this.

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

it seems so easy within the browser LAN settings, can't be that hard, right?

Jason :

;)

Jason :

It is easy with the browser lan settings because it was built into the applicatin.

Jason :

application

Jason :

Who ever wrote the firmware for that player did not include those values because 99.999% of the time people don't need to use that.

Jason :

Would setting up one of the computers that do work with the proxy setup, so that it can re-route the Internet to the player?

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

i see. any way to tell my spare netgear router to only access the internet through the proxy IP and then connect the devices to that router?

Jason :

So it would go Modem > Computer > Player

Jason :

If you have a $1,000 router, you may have access to that type of setup.

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

how would the modem-computer-player setup work? does the player have to be hard connected to the computer?

Jason :

Is the player wireless or hardwired?

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

i have it wireless now, but can ethernet it to the router if necessary

Jason :

ok

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

or to the computer i guess

Jason :

Now..

Jason :

Is the computer that uses the proxy wireless or hardwired to the router?

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

wireless

Jason :

Fantastic

Jason :

You could enable Internet Connection Sharing on the computer, plug the 2nd extra router into that computer, and wirelessly connect the player to that 2nd player.

Jason :

Are you familiar with this type of configuration?

Jason :

If not, may I remote into your system real quick and set this up for you?

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

yes familar, can i bypass the router setup if I ethernet the player to the computer?

Jason :

Yes

Jason :

That is correct

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

2 minutes

Jason :

If that is possible, that would be the best choice.

Jason :

ok.

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

alright, ethernet connected computer to player and computer using proxy server

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

need to tell player to talk to computer to get internet

Jason :

No

Jason :

You can just set it to obtain IP automatically on the player.

Jason :

Have you already setup Internet Connection Sharing on the computer?

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

no...need to do that step...

Jason :

Yes you do

Jason :

Thank you

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

in Win7 where is that?

Jason :

Or I can do that for you, if you wish.

Jason :

May I remote in and do this for you?

Jason :

If you do it incorrectly, you may mess up the Internet connection on the laptop.

JACUSTOMER-hoz760jj- :

sure, but i'd like to see the steps so i can go back and forth

Jason :

Okay

Jason :

Thank you.

AFTER YOU CLICK THE LINK BELOW, you can continue.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=30c690a2-64ce-4f9e-b432-58d6c3c6dd1d&SUPPORT=NET

Then on that page click the big green button on the bottom of the page that says, "I agree, Run RemoteDesktop".

Jason :

If you need to enable or disable it later on, you can do so yourself by following the instructions at this page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/using-ics-internet-connection-sharing

Jason :

Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded?

Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?

Jason :

The remote does not seem to be running.

Jason :

Jason :

The remote is not running. Let's try this another way.

Jason :

DISCLAIMER

By choosing to click the Join.Me link below, you understand and agree to give the Expert full access to and control over your computer for computer diagnosis, service and repair; that any third-party software acquired, installed or used during the RemoteDesktop session, by you or the Expert, will be licensed to you, and any terms of use agreed to by you.

JustAnswer strongly recommends that you at all times maintain a complete data backup and disaster recovery plan.

If you agree to the terms listed above, you may continue below.

- Please, click the following link, download that file, and run the file: https://secure.join.me/Download.aspx?webdownload=true
- Then download and allow that remote app to run.
- Once it is finished, please, tell me the 9 digit number that appears on the top of your screen.

Thank you.

Jason :

May I ask how all of that is coming along?

Jason :

If you wish to request me personally for any future questions, you can do so at the following link: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-computertechmaster/

I look forward to your next message or your rating below.

Thank you again,
- Jason

Jason :

If you have any issues later on, please, let me know.