I saved an html from the web. It saved as a chrome html. I

Customer Question
I saved an html from...
I saved an html from the web. It saved as a chrome html. I cannot open it.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/10/2013
Tech Support Specialist: technicalcat, Consultant replied 4 years ago
technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant
Hello and thank you for using this service,

What exactly happens when you click on this file and try to open it?

I get the pop up that asks do I want to let this program make changes to your computer. I respond yes. A tabbed new screen opens.The tab says loading. A pop up appears tht says "your profile could not be opened correctly. Some features may be unavailable. Please check that the profile exists and you have permission to read and write its contents"

1) What browser are you using to save this page/site?
2) Can you send me the URL/address for this page/site you are trying to save?

Thanks.

Internet Explorer, pretty sure its 9

The file saved from the url. It saved as a chrome html. The ujrl I am working in is: http://www.treasurydirect.gov/BC/SBCPrice

It's 3:45 am. Going to bed. Can I get back to you, after you send the e-mail, in the morning about 10:30am NYT?

As you can see from the URL, this is not an HTML page (no .html extension), so nothing will be saved this way.

I'm assuming you are trying to save this particular "calculator" page so you can use it offline. This will simply not work as the calculator is a server side application , and must be run "as is" on that website.

The only alternative if you really need something to work offline, would be a 3rd party application to calculate savings bonds. While these are not very common on the Windows platform, there are a few out there. Here is one listed on a reputable download site:

http://download.cnet.com/Savings-Bond-Wizard/3000-2057_4-10068996.html

Also, if it helps, there is also a feature on the treasurydirect calculator to save your inventory to your PC. Remember that you still need to do this ON the website , and not offline or from any sort of saved copy of the site/page. It is described here:

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/help/bc/bc_savings_help.htm

I realize this may not be the answer you wanted to hear on this question, but it is factual and accurate, and that is what we strive for. Please remember to positively rate my time and help. A positive rating helps me, where not rating or rating negatively hurts me. Rating positive costs you nothing more to do, and I continue to assist on this question all the same after positive rating for no additional fee. Please rate my time and help, and please do not rate treasurydirect, or the situation with this web site calculator you are trying to save, as I have no control over these things. Thank You!

The treasury site you added is the site that directed me to what produced the chrome html

Sorry, I understood you were simply trying to save the page you sent me.

Are you following the steps in the instructions, and clicking the blue save button, in order to save your inventory? This is a feature on the calculator itself, and not in your browser. It should simply trigger your browser to popup a message to save the inventory file. Is this what you are doing exactly?

Yes, I am. After that I get a screen of the file, but no additional prompt. The how to save button instructs you to use the brower save menu.

In your browser you are using to access this site, please press the F1 key. You should get a popup showing Internet Explorer and the browser version. Please tell me what it says.

Internet Explorer 9

The part about the "Chrome" association is very strange if you had not installed Chrome or have Chrome on your computer. Incidentally, Chrome is the only major browser not supported by this website, so we need to isolate this.

Please download and install Firefox, and try the inventory save as instructed with it. If it works, I would continue to use firefox, if not just for the inventory save. Make sure you close out ALL other browser windows, and then open firefox, and go to the site with only firefox open. Below is a link to firefox, and the instructions as quoted from the treasury site.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

1. After entering your bonds, click the "Save" button in the results area.
  2. After the page reloads, click 'File', then 'Save Page As...' in the menu bar (or, if you're using the new window layout in Firefox 4, click the 'Firefox' button then 'Save Page As...'.
  3. In the window that pops up, choose a disk drive, folder, or directory where you want to save your bond list.
  4. In the box labeled 'File Name:' Enter a name for your bond listing.
  5. Make sure that the box labeled 'Save As Type' has "Web Page, HTML Only" selected.
    Image of a Save Dialog box from Firefox
  6. Click the box marked 'Save'.

Now you'll be able to come back to the site and reprice your bonds at a later date. Just connect to the Internet, locate the bond list you saved on your computer, and open the file. The page will look just like it did when you saved your list. Click on the 'Return to Savings Bond Calculator' button at the top of the page, and your list will automatically update the values to the current date at that time!

Since Chrome was the first system I indicated was giving me a problem, when I said that the file had saved as a chrome html, I am very disappointed. You have wasted the time of both of us. I will be applying for a refund. I believe that you are good at what you do, but should have said that at the outset. Your advise does not solve my problem. Have a better day.

Sorry, but I do not understand your previous response. If the file is being saved as a "Chrome" file, or Chrome is otherwise being used to save the file - then it will not work. Chrome is not in any way compatible with this treasury website, and in particular the feature you are using.

You will at least need to try the steps I previously laid out in order to solve the problem. However, many people simply choose to use a browser such as Firefox if it works. If it does work, and you want to try to fix IE, then we can also try to do that. Thanks!

I've requested my refund, and am done.

This is fine, and any customer can request a refund. However, please understand that no time was "wasted". You have been given good advice and information. I can not make you carry out the troubleshooting steps I give you, but only request that you do, in order to help.
technicalcat
technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant