I have an HP Pavilion dv3510nr Entertainment Notebook PC and…

Customer Question
I have an HP Pavilion...
I have an HP Pavilion dv3510nr Entertainment Notebook PC and the card reader has stopped working. The card itself is fine and I have been using it on this computer for several years. Tried a card reader writer in usb port and that did not work either. Have tried restarting computer. Could not find and "card reader" driver on my devices. Says all... Read full answer
I have an HP Pavilion dv3510nr Entertainment Notebook PC and the card reader has stopped working. The card itself is fine and I have been using it on this computer for several years. Tried a card reader writer in usb port and that did not work either. Have tried restarting computer. Could not find and "card reader" driver on my devices. Says all devices are "working properly". How do I fix this problem???
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Computer
1/12/2013
Tech Support Specialist: Steve The IT Guy, Consultant replied 6 years ago
Steve The IT Guy
Steve The IT Guy, Consultant
Is Windows Vista the 32 bit or 64 bit OS ?

The first thing to try is updating the driver from the HP website.

The fist link below is for the Vista 32 bit card reader driver, the second link is for the Vista 64 bit driver, followed by the steps to follow to navigate the HP site.

1. Vista 32-bit Card Reader Driver:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-66639-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=2093&product=3795282&sw_lang=

2. Vista 64-bit Card Reader Driver:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-66639-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=2100&product=3795282&sw_lang=

3. Navigating the HP Site to find the driver:

For your particular computer, you should go to:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3795282&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

From here, in the OS dropdown, select either Windows Vista or Windows Vista (64-bit).

Then select Drives - Storage and then select the card reader driver.

After you download and run the driver installer, reboot the computer, and try the card reader again.

how do I determine which bit 32 or 64/

To determine if you have 32-bit or 64-bit, go to the Windows Start menu and do the following:

Start -> Right-click on Computer -> Properties

Towards the middle of the page in the System section, look at the "System Type" value.

Have installed the card reader driver, rebooted and still not working. Card is OK as works in camera and other computers.

sounds like the card reader is bad then. it can be replaced.

I have also tried a high speed card reader/writer in a usb port and computer still does not find or recognize the pictures so I think it is something else??

if the card itself works in other card readers and the driver is up to date on computer with the card reader but it won't recognize any card, the card reader is bad.

other card readers not working via a USB port is another matter involving several layers, any one of which could be the problem.

if you know someone who is comfortable doing laptop repairs, it takes about 15 minutes to replace a card reader. it requires only removing the back cover, unplugging the existing reader, plugging in the new reader, and replacing the cover.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I need to download the following drivers.., hope you can help
I need to download the following drivers.., hope you can help me. I have an HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook running Vista Home Premium SP2. Here is a list of drivers that I need; sp40170.exe audio … read more
Cody
Cody
Systems Engineer,
My sound device is not loading where can i get the correct
My sound device is not loading where can i get the correct driver; it is also not listed in my device manager HP Pavilion dv6636nr Entertainment Notebook PC Serial Number: CNF7435LP8 Product Number: g… read more
Michael T
Michael T
I have a Belkin USB Desk Hub Model F4U017. I have been using
I have a Belkin USB Desk Hub Model F4U017. I have been using it with an HP Pavilion entertainment PC running Windows 7. The devices connected to the USB hub were working perfectly since I installed th… read more
AAS Information Technology
Stop searching for answers—
I am using a Windows Vista, HP Laptop. I have had Print Shop
I am using a Windows Vista, HP Laptop. I have had Print Shop Programs for nearly 20 years, upgrading, etc. When I got this computer I installed Print Shop 15. It said it had to configure something dif… read more
Support Technician,
I have an HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook Laptop PC. I bought it
I have an HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook Laptop PC. I bought it brand new 1 year ago. At which time I also purchased an HP plug in (non-wireless) mouse and months later I purchased another HP Mouse - Wirele… read more
Network & System Administrator,
I cannot download pictures the media card reader does not work
I cannot download pictures the media card reader does not work or the cable from a camera. It used to work before??… read more
TonnyJonny
TonnyJonny
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
my windows 7 ultimate read error message this copy of windows
my windows 7 ultimate read error message this copy of windows not genuine. I bought a product key. I no longer get the error message but I have no sound. Taskbar at bottom right reads no audio output … read more
Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster
I.T.,
finally i hope i have logged in with you guys!!!!! Now, yet
finally i hope i have logged in with you guys!!!!! Now, yet again i have no sound on my computer and touch pad went wrong same time as sound stopped working. I would really appreciate your help to get… read more
online_help
online_help
I have an H & P Pavilion d7-1240w Entertainment Notebook PC
I have an H & P Pavilion d7-1240w Entertainment Notebook PC serial number cnd8502xtj I tried to hook it up to a TripleHead2Go Analog Multiple monitor device from Matrox but the video card in the compu… read more
johnpj1
johnpj1
Owner,
Platform is HP Pavilion dv9815nr Entertainment Notebook
Platform is HP Pavilion dv9815nr Entertainment Notebook PC -17 ",AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-60,NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M. After upgrade to Win7, device manager indicates coprocessor… read more
Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster
I.T.,
I purchased an HP Pavilion dv6707 Entertainment Notebook PC
I purchased an HP Pavilion dv6707 Entertainment Notebook PC nearly two years ago with Windows Vista operating system. I also purchased an HP LaserJet P2015dn double-sided printer. At the time, the pri… read more
David L
David L
I am not getting any sound from my laptop, when I go into control
I am not getting any sound from my laptop, when I go into control panel and sounds its says there are no audio devices installed but I know there is. How can I correct this problem. I have an HP Pavil… read more
Jared Tarbox
Jared Tarbox
Remote IT Specialist ,
Stop searching for answers—
Installed Windows 7, will not recognize sound card. Mute button
Installed Windows 7, will not recognize sound card. Mute button locked in mute on position. ADI Soundmax HD Audio Driver for XP will not work with W7.… read more
Peter
Peter
My HP Pavilion tx 1000 notebook has stopped detecting wireless
My HP Pavilion tx 1000 notebook has stopped detecting wireless notebooks. It is just over one year old. What can I do to correct this problem/… read more
Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler
Senior Network Engineer,
HP Pavilion tx1000 Entertainment PC having trouble getting
HP Pavilion tx1000 Entertainment PC having trouble getting the speakers to operate. the key board symbol reflexs it turn off will not respond to show it blue or on… read more
mary
mary
I cant down load my pictures from my Kodak camera all of the
I can't down load my pictures from my Kodak camera all of the sudden. when I insert the card in my pc the light comes on for just a second and then goes off again. I have Kodak easy share installed an… read more
mary
mary
The slots for my cameras memory cards no longer seem to work.
The slots for my camera's memory cards no longer seem to work. The one for a standard SD card worked fine for two years. Then I bought a new camera that uses min SD cards, and the slot for that doesn'… read more
James Carter
James Carter
I HAVE A COMPAQ PRESARIO C304NR NOTEBOOK PC. IS THERE A ...
I HAVE A COMPAQ PRESARIO C304NR NOTEBOOK PC. IS THERE A ADAPTER I CAN BUY TO USE MY SD MEMORY CARD IT IS A 256.… read more
BigThunder
BigThunder
Network Manager,
Bachelor Degree