My sony vaio no longer accepts my password XXXXX open the computer.

It says I have a...
My sony vaio no longer accepts my password XXXXX open the computer. It says I have a disc which should have it on, but the computer belonged to my son and he doesn't know what it means. How can I get past my password?
1/11/2013
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Computer Support Specialist

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue

Steve Herrod :

can you let me know what version of Windows is installed on the Sony Vaio?

Steve Herrod :

if there is another Administrator account active on the system then logging in there and then resetting your account would be the first option

Steve Herrod :

but this may not be possible if yours is the only account

Steve Herrod :

If so, there are various CDs available which can reset a password XXXXX a command line utility

Steve Herrod :

so if you have a CD burner on another system we can look at that route

Customer:

I would have to visit my daughter a mile away. Is there another way?

Steve Herrod :

possibly...

Steve Herrod :

what version of Windows is installed?

Customer:

Windows Vista Home Premium

Steve Herrod :

Thanks - and are there any other accounts setup?

Customer:

Yes, but one is my son's and his password XXXXX work either.

Steve Herrod :

ok - without using a CD to reset the password, we could try a system restore to a date before you last logged in successfully

Customer:

How do we do that?

Steve Herrod :

do you have the Vista DVD?

Customer:

Do you mean a separate DVD or the one with the one inside the Vaio?

Steve Herrod :

the Vista DVD which hopefully came with the Vaio?

Steve Herrod :

If not, we can restart the computer and tap F8 to bring up the boot options

Customer:

No I have nothing like that. My son took the computer to college and later gave it to me. All I have is the original computer

Steve Herrod :

ok - so if you can reboot it and tap F8 as it starts up you should get to the Advanced Boot menu

Steve Herrod :

and see if there is a 'Repair your Computer' option

Customer:

I'll do that. hang on. I tapped F8 and it gave me advanced Boot options menu

Steve Herrod :

ok - is there 'Repair your Computer' available?

Customer:

no

Steve Herrod :

ok - that means there isn't a recovery partition on the laptop which manufacturers sometimes put in

Steve Herrod :

unfortunately that leaves the bootable CD as the option now to reset the password

Steve Herrod :

although it could be done with a USB drive if you have one of those?

Customer:

Let me check

Steve Herrod :

k

Customer:

I found a flash drive. Is that the same thing?

Steve Herrod :

yep - that should do it

Steve Herrod :

so what we will do is download a utility from the web

Customer:

So do I just put it into the USB on the Vaio?

Steve Herrod :

what computer are you on at the moment?

Customer:

It's my husband's ThinkPad

Steve Herrod :

ok - we need to put the USB on this one

Steve Herrod :

and can you download htis?

Customer:

ok it's connected

Customer:

So will that give me the info I need to download the password XXXXX? This computer says I need to restart it before the drive will work.

Steve Herrod :

unfortunately there are a few steps

Steve Herrod :

once you've downloaded that file, you need to extract it

Steve Herrod :

and then copy all the files to the USB drive

Customer:

I don't mind the steps. I just don't want to restart this computer and lose the information that you've given me.

Steve Herrod :

if it needs to restart - add this page to favorites and you can come back to chat

Steve Herrod :

I won't log off

Steve Herrod :

::)

Steve Herrod :

:)

Customer:

ok So I'm restarting

Steve Herrod :

ok

Steve Herrod :

Let me know how it is going

Customer:

I'm back and I have the USB drive installed. I had a hard time getting you back on the bookmark and then my husband came home and needed to use his computer. What do I do now?

Customer:

I'm back. My husband came home and had to use his computer. I now have the USB in and I have the website. What now?

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Steve Herrod :

were you able to download this file?

Customer:

I'll do it now.

Steve Herrod :

great

Customer:

I tried to download the file and it just kept saying "There is no suitable decoder module."

Steve Herrod :

ok, that is strange

Steve Herrod :

will put up another link

Steve Herrod :

can you go here?

Customer:

Hey I was able to change my son's password XXXXX get into the computer using a new password XXXXX him. Will that help us get into my page or should I just be satisfied to get to the internet though his password XXXXX not go to my home page?

Steve Herrod :

ah - that should make things a lot easier!

Steve Herrod :

so long as your son had administrative access

Steve Herrod :

but let's try something

Steve Herrod :

so if logged on with your son's account

Steve Herrod :

go to Start-->Control Panel

Steve Herrod :

and click on Classic View

Customer:

Yes I brought up that site. now What?

Steve Herrod :

there should be User Accounts that you can click on?

Customer:

ok

Steve Herrod :

and then towards the bottom Manage another Account

Customer:

I've got it

Steve Herrod :

ok, you should now be able to select your account?

Steve Herrod :

and there will be a Change the Password option

Customer:

right

Steve Herrod :

ok, so select that and you can hopefully change the password XXXXX your account?

Steve Herrod :

if so - you can try restarting the laptop and logging in as you....

Customer:

So it brought up the accounts and said Account I want to Change.

Steve Herrod :

ok

Steve Herrod :

were you able to change the password?

Customer:

Guess what. It worked. Thank you so much for your help. Will my credit card be charged in the future. Or was that a one time fee for today's help?

Steve Herrod :

Am so glad it worked :)

Steve Herrod :

you're welcome

Steve Herrod :

this should be a one-time fee

Steve Herrod :

and I receive credit when you rate the answer

Customer:

I'll do it. You've been great.

Steve Herrod :

thank you :)

Steve Herrod :

let me know if you need anything at all

Steve Herrod :

and hope you have a great weekend

Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod